Notices

IS MY COOLANT TEMP OK ???

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2008, 07:17 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation IS MY COOLANT TEMP OK ???

I've finally managed to get hold of a Apexi Commander so as to monitor my WRX v.1 motor's vital signs, lol.

I noticed that just driving slowly through traffic (not much more than 40mph) the temp hung around between c.92-96deg C. When stood idling for a while in a bit of a traffic jam, the temp crept up to a peak of 101 C. When I got home I let it idle for a while until the fans kicked in and out, and the temp then stabilised at 98 C. All the time, the dash gauge was rock steady at the middle mark (as per normal).

Are these temps what's to be expected? I'm assuming I still have the OEM 'stat which opens at 78 C... (Regardless, I fully intend to get the 71 C one from Mark @ Lateral).

EDIT: BTW, I had a brand new OEM rad supplied and fitted by RCM, about 5/6 months ago (plus silicone top and bottom rad hoses).

Last edited by joz8968; 08 October 2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08 October 2008, 08:57 PM
scooby350bhp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

101 seems abit high, ive got an apexi ecu and commander, wen im sitting in traffic the max temp it reaches is about 93 degress C, but wen on the move it drops down to 82/83 degrees C

have u checked ur coolant level?
Old 08 October 2008, 10:03 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Yes, level is fine - no loss either (as one would expect with a recent rad and hoses). The expansion tank has recently been replaced too and has no seepage.

Hmm, don't know what to think . If I get the stat that opens at 71 rather than the normal 78C, then that should at least bring me within your range of temps.

The car runs fine and all that, but just worried that if these are indeed elevated temps, then they might cause a hot spot in a cylinder which might possibly promote det or pre-ignition ... At least I can monitor for that too, though lol

Last edited by joz8968; 08 October 2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09 October 2008, 09:44 AM
help2003
Scooby Regular

is this the Apexi commander or do you need to get the one which comes with the ecu?

Brand New APEXi FC COMMANDER APEX only for most cars on eBay, also Chips, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 10-Oct-08 14:10:28 BST)
Old 09 October 2008, 10:15 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by help2003

If you already have the ECU, then you can get the Commander separately, but that one in that ad isn't the one for your Classic.

92-96 (A-C) v.1/2... Product code: 415-N001
97-00 (D-G) v.3-6... Product code: 415-H001

Here's one for the v.1/2 (cheapest one on eBay at the mo)...

New Apexi Power FC Hand Commander 415N001 Nissan Subaru on eBay, also, Other Car Parts, Accessories, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats (end time 12-Oct-08 05:07:21 BST)

Last edited by joz8968; 09 October 2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09 October 2008, 10:18 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My rad is broke and idles at 92 which I thought was high.
Old 09 October 2008, 10:37 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

fans should come in at 93degs to reduce it to 91degs.
if you stop for fuel or something, when you crank the engine it may be up to 101degs but should fall sharply with the fans back to 91degs.

Trending Topics

Old 09 October 2008, 04:09 PM
mshill
Scooby Regular

newage fans come on at 96 degs and take temp back down to 88 degs.
normal driving temp is about 85 degs
Old 09 October 2008, 10:58 PM
RAPID STI
Scooby Regular

My fans come on at 91 and off @ 89. motorway cruising @ 82/83. never seen more than 93.
Old 09 October 2008, 11:33 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Right, update...

I fear I may have been wrong about my coolant level...

I was out for a bit of a blat tonight on my local bypass and booted it off a roundabout and got a misfire at the rev limiter (I've already replaced 2 new coilpacks ; got to replace the other 2 - certain this is the reason for that misfire).

Anyway, the misfire made me look at my dash temp gauge, and the needle was vertical, at max! Plus the Commander read 137deg! I limped to the nearby Meridian Maccy D's lol and shut the motor off. Checked coolant level and couldn't see any in expansion tank. Went across the road to get 2 petrol cans of hot water from the fellas at the fire station (cheers lads ), and first topped up the expansion tank then the long narrow clear plastic filler by the battery. It took a fair bit less than 1 can (5 litres) to get back to full... and.... then noticed that as I was pouring, the water was coming out the 'large' black rubber coolant hose that goes into the very bottom of the clear plastic filler (the rubber hose exits from inside the passenger's wing and joins to the bottom of the filler - just on top of the battery tray). I don't think the hose is actually split, I just think that it got really hot and soft, as the water appeared to be forcing its way past the clip that secures it to the bottom of the plastic filler.

So I waited for the temp to drop to about 74deg (1/3rd on dash gauge) and carefully drove it the c.3 miles back home, which it done no probs - dash gauge stayed at midway and Commander at 98deg max. Parked up, popped bonnet, fans working... And the coolant level hadn't gone down at all. Expansion tank still full; clear plastic filler still full.

I'll take it into RCM and get them to at least fit one of those robust screw-up clips - like jubilees but different lol - rather than one of those rubbish OEM 'self-closing' spring type ones (as already fitted). Also, does anyone know how hard it is to replace that rubber coolant hose as mentioned above? (Seeing as it goes into the wing, it looks like it could be a bit of a pig to sort out ).

Last edited by joz8968; 10 October 2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10 October 2008, 12:37 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I was talking crap above...

That long filler is just an overflow reservoir that links to a bottle in the passenger's wing by that black coolant hose . So the water peeing out of the hose was no doubt just because the bottle became full and it forced the water out back through the hose due to the weight - therefore pressure - of water in the bottle. Probably.

Bottom line, is that the overflow area on the top of the expansion tank to that long filler is an escape vent for any expanded coolant to go through, should the pressure get too great. This surely must mean that there's excess pressure in the coolant system when using full boost/high revs ... So it's looking, therefore, more and more as if it could be a head gasket/s failure - this would probably also explain the slightly higher than normal operating temps. Bugger .

Does anyone have their own view on this?

P.S. BTW, when I drove c.12 miles on a round trip this morning, I experienced no coolant loss whatsoever - the expansion tank was still full up. I didn't boot it at all, just got up to speed by driving normally lol... I suppose the ultimate test is for me to go on a hoon agian and - possibly - be prepared for the same again .

Last edited by joz8968; 10 October 2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10 October 2008, 01:28 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

On my classic fans come in at 96 deg takes it down to 84, always done that

Had an airlock some months ago, due to a leaky hose near the turbo, took the temp to over 100 before fans came in, so you might have some air in yours
Old 10 October 2008, 01:49 PM
RAPID STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
I was talking crap above...

That long filler is just an overflow reservoir that links to a bottle in the passenger's wing by that black coolant hose . So the water peeing out of the hose was no doubt just because the bottle became full and it forced the water out back through the hose due to the weight - therefore pressure - of water in the bottle. Probably.

Bottom line, is that the overflow area on the top of the expansion tank to that long filler is an escape vent for any expanded coolant to go through, should the pressure get too great. This surely must mean that there's excess pressure in the coolant system when using full boost/high revs ... So it's looking, therefore, more and more as if it could be a head gasket/s failure - this would probably also explain the slightly higher than normal operating temps. Bugger .

Does anyone have their own view on this?

P.S. BTW, when I drove c.12 miles on a round trip this morning, I experienced no coolant loss whatsoever - the expansion tank was still full up. I didn't boot it at all, just got up to speed by driving normally lol... I suppose the ultimate test is for me to go on a hoon agian and - possibly - be prepared for the same again .

I have just had to replace my head gaskets due to a pants rebuild but thats another story.

I had the same probs as you, and now that you mention water coming out of the overflow I am almost 100% sure that your problem is headgasket.

£500 ish
Old 10 October 2008, 05:41 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Well, in an ideal world, with just engine removal, head gaskets on, engine back in, then RCM mentioned roughly £800... But it never is an ideal world, and the heads might need reskimming (unless warped!). Then you may as well uprate the head studs and replace timing belt, tensioners, etc. Also, while were there, how about an uprated Zen Cosworth or RCM oil pump? LOL.

RCM gave a rough figure the right side of £2k as a sort of worst case scenario and Zen mentioned a similar figure. Thing is, it's all fair commant, as you'll never know what should be replaced until eveyrhing has been inspected anyway, etc.

Warranty Works, here I come! LOL...

Last edited by joz8968; 10 October 2008 at 05:57 PM.