Notices

Fast yet easy to work on?

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2008, 02:29 PM
2008scooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast yet easy to work on?

I have a new project but know very little about Subaru cars in general. I am lead to believe that generality mechanical there very good though so I am now about to have a play. Now my question are what models are relatively easy to work on? I ask this as many modern cars have very complicated fly by wire throttled, electronic power steering, multiplexed wiring, heavenly integrated electronics and that sort of thing. So what models would be potentially competitive in club level racing yet still relatively simple to work on? Thanks
Old 08 October 2008, 07:04 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

From my limited experience with working on Subarus, I can say that the classics are pretty easy mechanically and electrically.

Another plus side is the amount of spares knocking around now.

The above is why I chose a classic over the newer style, plus I preferred the style of car. As I do all my own work I needed something that was easy to find info on, source spare parts (new and second hand), and still hold it's own against some very new machinery.

All the classic models appear to be very similar in chassis, engine and electrics all be it with uprated parts as you go towards the sti models. Easy swap arounds though these days with plenty of purpose made brackets, how to's and general info on websites available.

As a racer though, it would probably be financially more viable to start with a high end model or even a newage shape as a base. Pointless spending shed loads of money on something that will then be as competative as a standardish new model. That all depends on what type of level and class you race at I guess.

Quite a subjective topic so no doubt you will get all sorts of 'what you should do' threads
Old 08 October 2008, 07:23 PM
2008scooby
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the reply Nuttynick. I am replacing a Citroen AX that was sprinted so a guess no matter what I go for it will feel fast. I did get a C2 I was going to start rallying but technically speaking there a nightmare and rallying turned out to cost a lot. So sold it on and thinking of just sprinting again, but with something a bit faster aka subaru. Most important thing is easy to look after as half the fun in sorting the car your self. Its all for fun so sound like a classic shape may be the way to go for me. Thanks
Old 08 October 2008, 07:52 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb

I reckon you ought to go for a v.1 (Nov. 92 - Sep. 94) Type RA - the lightest of all Imprezas at only 1170kg dry!! - plus has the 35/65% rear-biased DCCD centre diff, which is suited for competition. They have a set of super short ratios in the 'box, to boot. Version 1s also have a slightly taller 4.111:1 rear diff final drive than v.2 RAs (3.9:1) too, for even greater acceleration.

The world is your oyster with regards to how much you'd be prepared to throw it for your horsepower needs e.g. c.350bhp can be had relatively cheaply - they are 237bhp (240PS) standard - with appropriate supporting mods and aftermarket ECU management.

Your best bet would be to buy one already prepared, as they are a popular steed in Hillclimbing. Just make sure you get one with a recent proper rebuild, would be my advice.

Last edited by joz8968; 08 October 2008 at 08:23 PM.