Notices

FMIC - Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2008, 08:39 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FMIC - Which one?

With the level of modifications I have on my 03 STi, the next logical step could possibly be a FMIC They seem to range from £900+ down to £335 from Harvey! As a map check/adjustment would be required, adding to the cost, I've got to watch the potential overall cost but balanced by a good product.
What are peoples findings on the various intercoolers available? Do the cheaper ones perform as well?

JohnD
Old 30 September 2008, 08:41 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

STi TMIC is good - why is this the next logical step?
Old 30 September 2008, 08:54 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
STi TMIC is good - why is this the next logical step?
I tried to play safe by saying "could possibly" I'm more than willing to be convinced that I'll see no real benefit!
It's just a thought at the moment but I want to make sure I'm making the most of the current mods. and also curious why there is such a big price difference?

JohnD
Old 30 September 2008, 08:59 AM
Austrian Impreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What bhp are you running and of course how high is the boost?
I´m planning to use a FMIC as well, because it´s impossible to hold desired boostlevel in every gear when shifting through the gears (on the dragstrip), but getting the right boost on the autobahn pushing the pedal in 4th or 5th!
Due to having solved all other problems occured before, the intercooler (STI V8) is the last weak link in the line!
But this would be at approxm. 350-380bhp!
Old 30 September 2008, 09:30 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

It depends on the use. TMIC is fine for the Type 25 at 420 bhp but for sustained track work an FMIC deals with charge cooling better. John - do you do a lot of track work?

Andy F runs a TMIC on his drag car - not much of an issue for him I dont think at very high power levels.

Austrian Impreza - if you are having difficulty maintaining boost - this is more a mapping issue I reckon than a IC one.
Old 30 September 2008, 09:36 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Current spec. is MD321H, 650cc injectors, Hyperflow CAI, Ported headers and up pipe, 3" Miltek catted system, AVC-R 1.65 bar dropping to 1.5 General road use, which is why I'm not totally covinced I'll see positive benefits.
JohnD
Old 30 September 2008, 09:42 AM
New_scooby_04

John,
Echo the above, if the car is used on the road and your mapper says temps are under control then probably best to retain STi TMIC.

If you do go FMIC, then Hybrid every time for cost/effectiveness; it really is a great bit of kit!

Ns04
Old 30 September 2008, 09:44 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

You might get more power (marginally) but not worth the cost or the extra lag IMO for road use.

If you do decide to go that route - you will be limited by which hole in the inner wing that you can use as the hyperflow CAI uses one. You will not be able to use an APS one for sure. Also, cheaper are worse at cooling than the TMIC from what I have heard (exception being the hybrid from Harvey) - steer clear of ebay rubbish.

hth
Old 30 September 2008, 10:03 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Autobahn works fine Duncan.
STI8 tmic not all that imo, still too much heatsoak when stationary
Front mount costs now down to 260 which is roughly what you'll get back from selling the top mount.

STI tmic is like communism, great on paper but often left wanting in reality.
Old 30 September 2008, 10:05 AM
StuS
Scooby Regular

I'll be interested to see what you choose JohnD, since I have very similar modifications and am trying to work out my next step.

What power level are you currently running at?
Old 30 September 2008, 10:51 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

You might get more power (marginally) but not worth the cost or the extra lag IMO for road use.

This is a concern as I've already noticed that I have to wait a tad longer for the turbo to wake up than I did with the VF35. When It does however, it goes! You have to adjust your driving technique to get the best from it.

JohnD
Old 30 September 2008, 01:22 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

STi8 TMIC is a good unit and is used with success on 400bhp+ cars.

If you do choose do go front mount, the Hybrid intercoolers we stock are very good quality.

I still use a STi8 TMIC on my own car
Old 30 September 2008, 01:48 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnD
Current spec. is MD321H, 650cc injectors, Hyperflow CAI, Ported headers and up pipe, 3" Miltek catted system, AVC-R 1.65 bar dropping to 1.5 General road use, which is why I'm not totally covinced I'll see positive benefits.
JohnD
John - your spec is almost identical to mine; I run a Hyperflow TMIC and it has no problems at a tad over 400bhp. I'm sure the OEM STI8 TMIC won't be far behind on performance terms and if it's a road car (ie you don't intend on tracking it) my guess is you'll prefer the crisper response a TMIC gives. For drag strip or hard sustained track work however, the potential benefits of a FMIC become more important.
Cheers, Andrew
Old 30 September 2008, 02:23 PM
Austrian Impreza
Scooby Regular

What about high boost pressure?
I can get full boost when flooring the pedal in 4th or 5th gear, but do not reach the target when shifting through the gears on dragstrip!
Using the STI V8 TMIC.
Old 30 September 2008, 03:27 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StuS
I'll be interested to see what you choose JohnD, since I have very similar modifications and am trying to work out my next step.

What power level are you currently running at?
With what I've got it should be on the good side of 380? However, on Zen's rollers the curve looked fine until the ECU pulled the timing and it flattened which is why I thought there may be a charge temp. issue? Extrapolated, the curve seemed on its way to my target figure. On the road, it feels fine and with my driving regime, I don't think there will be a tangable improvement.
Like most of you, I perhaps suffer from "modifylitis"

JohnD
Old 30 September 2008, 03:38 PM
AL99
Scooby Regular

Dynamix, Autstrian impreza,

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-drag-run.html
Old 30 September 2008, 04:37 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
STi8 TMIC is a good unit and is used with success on 400bhp+ cars.

I still use a STi8 TMIC on my own car

Out of interest, with which turbos? (Yours and the ones you mention.) My spec is pretty similar to JohnD's, but I can't get over 370bhp. I've reached a point where power is simply not rising in line with boost: I can get 345bhp at 1.3 bar, but 1.7 bar only gets me 370. I notice that the boost I can get goes up if I use the I/C spray, and hot weather stops me getting maximum boost. All this suggests the intercooler is the issue.

JohnD

The Hyperflow I/Cs fit on Newage cars alongside their own cold air intake without issue, as they're designed to work together. But I assume Sam has already tried to sell you a Hyperflow FMIC...

M
Old 30 September 2008, 07:42 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
Out of interest, with which turbos? (Yours and the ones you mention.) My spec is pretty similar to JohnD's, but I can't get over 370bhp. I've reached a point where power is simply not rising in line with boost: I can get 345bhp at 1.3 bar, but 1.7 bar only gets me 370. I notice that the boost I can get goes up if I use the I/C spray, and hot weather stops me getting maximum boost. All this suggests the intercooler is the issue.

JohnD

The Hyperflow I/Cs fit on Newage cars alongside their own cold air intake without issue, as they're designed to work together. But I assume Sam has already tried to sell you a Hyperflow FMIC...

M
No, nobody's tried to flog me anything!
Reading your reply and looking at your site makes your scenario look almost identical to mine? It's difficult to equate roller figures with road performance as you're always thinking that maybe the top mount will perform better on the road than on the rollers?
A Hyperflow IC at well over £800 plus map adjust could be a good example of the law of diminishing returns especially as any increase in lag would be unacceptable for the road use the car sees for the majority of the time.

JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 30 September 2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01 October 2008, 09:03 AM
Austrian Impreza
Scooby Regular

@Al99: Many thanks Alan, the thread doesn´t really tell how the problem can be solved, but I might have to alter the AVCR setting in the big way, duty to 70% or higher from 5000rpm on...

Anyways I think a FMIC is the way to go in the case of reaching 400bhp, isn´t it?
Old 01 October 2008, 11:19 AM
millitant_sti
Scooby Regular

hiya people just wondering how i start my own topic???
Old 01 October 2008, 01:07 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by millitant_sti
hiya people just wondering how i start my own topic???

Decide on and go to the forum that suits the content of your post eg General technical, Drivetrain etc. Click on "New thread" Write your post then hit "submit" You can edit your post by clicking "edit" Do your alterations then hit "save"

JohnD