Notices

decated and upgraded uppipe

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2008, 11:20 AM
tunesguy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decated and upgraded uppipe

hi, just fitted my 02 sti uk (stock)with full 3" decat exhaust, also changed the up pipe and manifold but now when i boot it i get a kinda hiss sound like airs escaping from somewere quite hard to find as only does it once booted, also revs ok up to limit but top end @ about 110 mph it feels a bit judery.

I have checked all hoses that were taken off sti panel but no leaks.. and no engine checklight comes on, also once i have worked this problem out will i need to remap to get full power now decated ?

Cheers
Old 21 September 2008, 01:18 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

a remap would definatly get you the most from the decat zorst, you dont have to remap but you may start to get overboost and over fueling so the safest thing would be to have it done,

as for the sound your hearing this may be the turbo you can hear, mine does it now ive decatted too. more of a whistle type noise rather than a hiss but i think yours is a different turbo to mine seen as yours is the STi
Old 21 September 2008, 03:52 PM
tunesguy
Scooby Regular

cheers 4 the quick reply, somebody else said it could be the turbo noise, i thought maybe mr garage guy had not put the air box back correctly or a bent hose, always best to see what the modders on the forum say

Next job ecu remap then
Old 22 September 2008, 12:50 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

be very carefull indeed, fully decatting, up pipe and manifold could totaly screw up the AFR, needs to be checked for definate.

the juddering sounds like overboost, take it very steady till you get it checked out
Old 25 September 2008, 01:10 AM
tunesguy
Scooby Regular

hmm i think im gonna put the (downpipe) first cat back on after turbo because i can see the lambda sensor is before second cat then at least i can 1) save up some dosh 2) find a good mapper thats not a million miles away, cheers for your help guys

Last edited by tunesguy; 25 September 2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old 25 September 2008, 10:58 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
be very carefull indeed, fully decatting, up pipe and manifold could totaly screw up the AFR, needs to be checked for definate.

the juddering sounds like overboost, take it very steady till you get it checked out
Is this a problem exclusively for STIs as I keep reading about decat=overboost and spikes?
Old 25 September 2008, 12:27 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mylesthegreat(not!)
Is this a problem exclusively for STIs as I keep reading about decat=overboost and spikes?

nope, any scoob, or at a guess any turbo car.

the cats add a slowing point in the exhaust system so when you remove it you allow the gas to flow more freely. because the turbo works on exhaust gas to pressurise the inlet gas, you suddenly free up the exhaust gas and do the same with the inlet so it spikes.

some classics can (i emphasise some) get away with it, but always. and new age tend to not like it at all (although some do get away with it). it can alter the air fuel ratio so if you having a decat then personaly i'd at least have it checked out after fitting and if needs be mapped
Old 25 September 2008, 12:43 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

nope, any scoob, or at a guess any turbo car.

the cats add a slowing point in the exhaust system so when you remove it you allow the gas to flow more freely. because the turbo works on exhaust gas to pressurise the inlet gas, you suddenly free up the exhaust gas and do the same with the inlet so it spikes.

some classics can (i emphasise some) get away with it, but always. and new age tend to not like it at all (although some do get away with it). it can alter the air fuel ratio so if you having a decat then personaly i'd at least have it checked out after fitting and if needs be mapped
Makes sense. Thanks for the reply. I have a decat downpipe waiting to be fitted, as well as the decat second pipe that is already fitted. I will leave the up pipe as it is for a mo. Will that make any difference without a remap, and will the aforementioned problems still be apparent?

Thanks

Myles
PS Sorry to hijack the thread tunesguy, and I hope the 110mph is on a private road!!!
Old 25 September 2008, 12:44 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

More scaremongering!!

You're engine isn't going to blow up just because you've replaced the exhaust system. To get the best from it yes get a remap but all this about your engine being in jeoardy is complete and utter rubbish.

Your airflow metre is there for a reason. It measures the air going into your engine and fuels accordingly. By freeing up the flow with a new exhaust you'll be taking more air in at a faster rate. However, an exhaust system will only give a small increase in flow compared to a new bigger turbo which will definatley require a map.
There will be certain tolerances built into the system and a new exhaust will fall within them.

I know this because I had a tubular manifold, and a full 2.5 inch decat system on my RB5 this car did around 20,000 miles in this state without issue.

You'll get some pops and bang and the car will be noisier but please don't be worried about it the engine going pop because of an exhaust change. It wont!!

Hope that helps

Daz
Old 25 September 2008, 01:03 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
More scaremongering!!

You're engine isn't going to blow up just because you've replaced the exhaust system. To get the best from it yes get a remap but all this about your engine being in jeoardy is complete and utter rubbish.

Your airflow metre is there for a reason. It measures the air going into your engine and fuels accordingly. By freeing up the flow with a new exhaust you'll be taking more air in at a faster rate. However, an exhaust system will only give a small increase in flow compared to a new bigger turbo which will definatley require a map.
There will be certain tolerances built into the system and a new exhaust will fall within them.

I know this because I had a tubular manifold, and a full 2.5 inch decat system on my RB5 this car did around 20,000 miles in this state without issue.

You'll get some pops and bang and the car will be noisier but please don't be worried about it the engine going pop because of an exhaust change. It wont!!

Hope that helps

Daz

would have thought with your tech knowledge you'd understand things a bit better than that.

ok heres a couple of questions. i'll even answer them for you

can too much boost destroy your engine if its high enough?

yes it can

can your car, after a decat, over boost?

yes it can

is over boost too much pressure so management backs off?

yes it is

so therefore it can kill your engine if the management isn't quick enough and the boost spikes to high.

so what i have said is correct, admitedly on the worst possible case, some classics get away without overboosting and some don't, new age tend to more often than not. so best bet, if you do decat, get it checked rather than doing it and going out, booting it and getting overboost.

now the last comment says its juddery, that sounds like overboost, now go read the top again.
Old 25 September 2008, 01:25 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going back a few years John Banks had boost spike problems with a de-catted Bugeye STi. He eventually sorted it by drilling out the restrictor

Boost spikes not a problem on the de-catted bugeye WRX though

Shaun
Old 25 September 2008, 01:30 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
More scaremongering!!

Hope that helps

Daz
Ta Daz. Pops and bangs are goooood! Thanks for your advice also!
Old 25 September 2008, 02:10 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

would have thought with your tech knowledge you'd understand things a bit better than that.

ok heres a couple of questions. i'll even answer them for you

can too much boost destroy your engine if its high enough?

yes it can

can your car, after a decat, over boost?

yes it can

is over boost too much pressure so management backs off?

yes it is

so therefore it can kill your engine if the management isn't quick enough and the boost spikes to high.

so what i have said is correct, admitedly on the worst possible case, some classics get away without overboosting and some don't, new age tend to more often than not. so best bet, if you do decat, get it checked rather than doing it and going out, booting it and getting overboost.

now the last comment says its juddery, that sounds like overboost, now go read the top again.
Complete and utter drivel.
The amount of increased boost required to destroy an engine is NOT going to be caused by an exhaust change no matter how well it flows.
That's the bottom line!!!
Old 25 September 2008, 02:35 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Daz

The man talks sense.

Simon
Old 25 September 2008, 04:04 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The rookie
Daz

The man talks sense.

Simon
Which man??
Old 25 September 2008, 04:35 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

It might not destroy the engine, but as John Banks and others have found out decatting the bugeye STi may lead to loss of boost control and reduce drivability.

Does that make sense LOL

Shaun
Old 25 September 2008, 04:58 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Total loss of boost control just by changing the exhaust? Get real.

I cannot believe the rubbish I read on here some times. Next we'll be reading that not using the recommended windscreen wash will cause the whole car to corrode into a pile of dust.

Let me try and make myself clear. Changing the exhaust is not going to make your engine suddenly explode. Niether is it going to make your turbo overboost to the point the engine can't cope and goes bang.

Worst case scenario is a few pops and bangs out of the exhaust slightly higher fuel consumption and in the most extreme circumstances some slight iregularities on boost i.e a reduction in the car smoothness. It will hardly be noticeable, won't cause any damage and can be easily solved with a remap.

I still cant get over people are saying swapping an exhaust system will cause engine failure!!

I bet these people closed their Halifax accounts last week too!!
Old 25 September 2008, 07:09 PM
hixxys STI
Scooby Regular

TOTALLY agree with daz all an exhaust does is remove the unwanted gases how ever you gain power buy the speed the gases are released into the atmosphere so i cant see how mayjor engine failure can be caused by a simple exhaust change, doing internal mods yes but otherwise

mat
Old 25 September 2008, 08:19 PM
CVH
Scooby Regular

By decatting from the turbo back you are just letting the crap out of your engine escape quicker.
You are also removing back pressure from the turbo, so everything moving away from engine cant see how damage can be done.
Old 25 September 2008, 10:37 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

well all i'll say is you have been warned, you pays your money you takes your choice, can sit, type and argue all nightif people realy want to, which i dont lol
Old 25 September 2008, 10:57 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Dazdavies..

decatting the UK Bugeye STi led to problems with boost spiking....and problems with "spirited" driving.

Well documented all those years ago by John Banks, a marine engineer called Andy Forrest and another unknown by the name of Mark Aigin..

Shaun
Old 25 September 2008, 11:03 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Shaun,

I'm not disputing that what I'm disputing is the claims that your engine will blow up, or you'll and I quote " loose total boost control" just by changing an exhaust. I'm sure Andy, Mark and John would also agree with what I'm trying to say too.

I've said for best results get it mapped but it's not an absolute must and you're engine isn't going to go bang if you dont. People shouldn't be scaremongering saying this will happen. That's all i'm trying to get across.

Jesus! why cant people seem to grasp this.

I'll try this one last time.

CHANGING AN EXHAUST WITHOUT A REMAP WILL NOT CAUSE YOUR ENGINE TO GO BANG!!!.
I cannot put it any plainer than that folks

Last edited by dazdavies; 25 September 2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old 25 September 2008, 11:09 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

perhaps i am being a bit alarmist, however it is the absolute worst case
Old 25 September 2008, 11:10 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Daz..

I think we all agree that de-catting a bugeye STi won't make it explode but may have problems with boost spikes.. LOL

Shaun
Old 25 September 2008, 11:13 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Quite possibly but this won't happen in all cases. Even if there are boost spikes they won't be anywhere near big enough to destroy an engine.

ps It's nice to have a debate on here for a change without it turning into all out warfare
Old 25 September 2008, 11:36 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Daz

I've got a WRX Bugeye with a few mods

The Bugeye STi is a bit of a dark horse as Subaru changed so many things from the Classic STi.....but just failed LOL

It's still my favourite for bang per buck performance with minimal mods....cheap as chips

Shaun
Old 25 September 2008, 11:38 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

I'm currently considering binning my type R project infavour of either a bugeye STI or a WR1. Can't quite bring myself to do it after all the work has gone into the shell.
Old 26 September 2008, 12:21 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

lol, tbh i think we all agree though that the outcome of decatting is very much a not gaurentied to either work properly or not work properly lol
Old 26 September 2008, 12:29 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

What is gauranteed is it won't blow your engine up
Old 26 September 2008, 12:36 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

stranger things have happened

Quick Reply: decated and upgraded uppipe