Notices

tubular exhaust manifold straight on 95 wrx?

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2008, 10:12 PM
Style
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tubular exhaust manifold straight on 95 wrx?

if i got a tubular exhaust manifold, could i put it straight on my 95 import wrx.

has anyone done this? what sort of gins would you expect? and do you need to get it chipped or mapped for this manifold, or will i get gains leaving ecu standard as it is

thanks dave
Old 20 September 2008, 12:11 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of people have put tubular exhaust manifolds on 95 WRXs.
A tubular manifold for a Classic or New Age will fit your car.
This is probably not an advisable mod as you will experience poor turbo spool.
You would be far better looking at ported OE headers and matched uppipe assuming that you already have a fully decatted turbo back efficient exhaust system.
Old 20 September 2008, 09:37 AM
Style
Scooby Regular

ok, thanks for the info.

ive got a sports cat at the mo. would it be worth going for a decat before i get into tubular mainfolds / headers.

is a decat pipe going to increase bhp / torquewithout needing to chip, or change my ECU?

i currently have a 3inch cat back zorst and just bout to get a induction kit, green cotton or something.

or is a chip a good value for money mod? any suggestions which
Old 20 September 2008, 10:35 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Any cat will be costing you upwards of 10 bhp.
I would not recommend you fit a chip.
Once you take the car away from standard you need to start thinking about a remap and for your car you need an alternative ECU.
Usually on the Classic you can decat the car and make other modest alterations before you need to remap the car.
Once you have carried out your modifications you need someone that knows what they are doing to check your car out. This involves running the car with wide band lambda equipment attached to check you are not weak in any area and listening out for DET. Subject to what is found your car may be OK but if there are issues you need to be looking at an ESL board, second hand Apexi or some other management unit.
Just by virtue of remapping the car you will pick up power anyhow.
On the cheap you could pick up power with a GBE valve to increase boost slightly but again this should only be done by someone who knows what they are doing with the ability to check AFRs and listen for DET.
Old 20 September 2008, 11:18 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

The esl costs £550+vat,plus later map sensor £60+vat,and worth every penny! If you were to save your money from the headers,and put it towards a map,you wouldn't be disapointed.Had one fitted a couple weeks ago, and still can't get the grin off my face!
Old 21 September 2008, 10:04 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Normally you would start with the exhaust system and then the ported headers and up-pipe in that order. Add a GBE valve for very little money WITH AFR and DET checks and you have added a lot BHP/£ spent. Generally these mods can be done without a remap so there is no pressure of time to get it done. Then if you decide on a remap you have had time to save for it while enjoying extra performance and been able to look around for the best deal on an Apexi or ESL.
Present your car for mapping in final modified form with the fuel you will run every day and you are paying for one mapping session. Alter it after mapping and you need to pay for a second mapping session to get the best from it.