MY UK99 slight hesitation..

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2008, 11:15 PM
carlito
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY UK99 slight hesitation..

Hi all

Have just recently got back into a scoob after previously onwing one around 3years ago.

Used to have a Type R ver 5 which was awsome.

This time round I'm in a MY99 UK car with the following mods:

Full H&S de-cat system
Blitz induction kit
Prodrive ECU
Prodrive quickshift
The car is a very low milage clean example

I'm finding a very slight hesitation on the throttle at just over 2k revs and then the power is smooth at around 3k.

Is this common in the UK cars and is it just turbo lag?

thanks for advice.
Old 13 September 2008, 12:38 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Think its just the lag, plus you're used to a faster impreza, unfortunately the UK ones are slower
Old 13 September 2008, 08:32 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

I had the sane problem on my MY99. A month after my remap I found I had a slight hesitation around 2.5k. I changed my plugs from PFR6's to PFR7's gaped at 0.65 and the problem has gone and it drives so much better. IMHO I would consider ditching the IK and putting the standard air box back on with a decent panel filter. The MAF's on the MY99/00 are very fragile and the increase air flow can cause problems.

Martin.
Old 13 September 2008, 08:48 PM
Ozzy_555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Skooby53
I had the sane problem on my MY99. A month after my remap I found I had a slight hesitation around 2.5k. I changed my plugs from PFR6's to PFR7's gaped at 0.65 and the problem has gone and it drives so much better. IMHO I would consider ditching the IK and putting the standard air box back on with a decent panel filter. The MAF's on the MY99/00 are very fragile and the increase air flow can cause problems.

Martin.
Question mate i've just bought some new spark plugs bought some PFR6's tho maybe the wrong choice will see, i'm wondering what do you mean by gaping the plugs i've seen a few people say but not grasping what they mean? Any help on that?
Old 13 September 2008, 09:05 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Gaping the plugs is done with feeler gauges. These gauges are like a pen knife but instead of blades they have thin metal strips. Each strip is a thickness in 10th's of a mm you select the two or three that make up the gap you need i.e. 0.65mm maybe a 0.4+025=0.65. You pass this through the gap at the electrode end of the plug. It will pull through with a little resistance i.e. it's a tight fit(no lion sleeps tonight jokes!) If it goes through to easy then tap the electrode gently and this will close the gap to the desired size. Only use PFR7's if running a modified motor as 6's are fine for standard cars. I hope this helps.
Old 13 September 2008, 09:11 PM
Ozzy_555
Scooby Regular

Cheers sounds complicated for an amateur like me

My car is standard and will probably be staying that way if i setup my plugs this way is there a good chance it might stop the hesitation on my car?
It's the only problem i seem to have right now.
Old 13 September 2008, 09:25 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

If you are using the PFR6's gap them to 0.7mm they should be around that size anyway. Always check them before fitting as you don't want to get them fitted and then have to do it all again! Changing the plugs cured my problem and its a good place to start. If it still persists then check the leads and coil pack, let us know how it goes.
Old 13 September 2008, 10:16 PM
andrew jeffs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carlito
Hi all

Have just recently got back into a scoob after previously onwing one around 3years ago.

Used to have a Type R ver 5 which was awsome.

This time round I'm in a MY99 UK car with the following mods:

Full H&S de-cat system
Blitz induction kit
Prodrive ECU
Prodrive quickshift
The car is a very low milage clean example

I'm finding a very slight hesitation on the throttle at just over 2k revs and then the power is smooth at around 3k.

Is this common in the UK cars and is it just turbo lag?

thanks for advice.
mine is the same,does it more from cold,feels like a slight misfire,but as yours seems to be clear after 3k, although i have noticed it once and a while at nearly maximum revs,thought it might be my de catted centre section?