Notices

How much for a MAF sensor and can you buy them separately from the housings?

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2008, 08:58 PM
dale_b_type_r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face How much for a MAF sensor and can you buy them separately from the housings?

Hi all,

We have a 1995 Wagon Impreza import and we need to get a new MAF sensor. I was led to believe you could buy the sensor for £80.00 alone seperate from the complete unit/housing which is over £280.00 for the entire MAF setup.

Our local Subaru dealer stated you can't buy the sensor alone and that we must pay over £280.00 for the full unit, is this right or are they getting more money from us? I'm almost certain I've seen people on here by the sensor alone for 1/3 of the price.

Any info really apprecaited.

Thanks,

Toby
Old 12 September 2008, 09:08 PM
CRonson7
Scooby Regular

here you go m8 just check to make sure it is the green lable one you need.

Subaru Impreza WRX MAF (mass air flow) Sensor on eBay, also, Subaru, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 14-Sep-08 12:11:28 BST)
Old 12 September 2008, 09:08 PM
adzer
Scooby Regular

what you mean by the "housing"? do u mean the entire airbox setup?

the maf will be a plastic cylinder that fits in between the intake pipes, gods knows how much they cost tho
Old 12 September 2008, 09:34 PM
dale_b_type_r
Scooby Regular

You should be able to either buy the actual MAF sensor alone (just the small sensor insert £80.00 odd) or the MAF sensor complete with housing/black box/gubbins as a complete unit (£280.00 odd).

Thanks for the link Ron much appreciated, we would prefer to buy just a new sensor alone to avoid any similar problems with s/hand units but it depends if we can just buy the actual sensor or if we need to buy the entire MAF!

The car has starting issues sometimes, idle is a little sporadic, smells fuelly on boost and has hesitation so can only put that down to the MAF.

Thanks,

Toby
Old 12 September 2008, 09:46 PM
Ozzy_555
Scooby Regular

I got 1 from scoobyworld £105 (£5 P+P included) - just the sensor no housing received it within 2 days
Old 12 September 2008, 09:51 PM
dale_b_type_r
Scooby Regular

What year car do you have buddy? They only have 99/00 listed on there not 1995 which is what we need

I've seen loads on ebay now but not sure on s/hand ones could be the same problem again.

Thanks,

T
Old 12 September 2008, 09:53 PM
Ozzy_555
Scooby Regular

Good point, i have a 99 WRX - maybe i should have read what year car you had first
Old 12 September 2008, 10:09 PM
dale_b_type_r
Scooby Regular

Yeah they seem to be readily available for the later cars!

In all honesty this car is a nightmare, power is down, stinks of fuel when you boost past 0.5 bar, makes a strange noise when you boost like an electrical surge/grinding noise but not metal on metal, hard to describe but really obvious through the pedal.

I don't even know if it's the MAF but have replaced coils, leads, plugs thus far to no avail. Will be replacing MAF and Idle Air Control Valve and if it doesn't cure it I'm scrapping it. Occasionally doesn't start until a few tries later and the revs also stick a little when chaning gear, they do drop just not quickly. The idle also sticks a 1100RPM until you touch the accelerator and it drops to normal, god knows!

T
Old 12 September 2008, 11:43 PM
dale_b_type_r
Scooby Regular

Also forgot to mention it sounds sometimes like it's running on 3 cylinders / misfiring but then again it's hard to tell as they do sound a little like that anyway.

Disconnected the MAF tonight once warm and the car does try and stall but most of the time it still runs, idle is up and down as expected but it does still just run which I would imagine points towards a MAF problem?

If anyone knows that we can buy the sensor alone (exc MAF housing) then do say as it would save a pretty penny. Just like the later cars where you can buy the actual sensor alone for under £100.00 or the complete unit for over £300.00!

Thanks,

T
Old 12 September 2008, 11:49 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

what about the O2 sensor?
Old 13 September 2008, 12:06 AM
dale_b_type_r
Scooby Regular

That would only really be part throttle though? How many lambda's do they have? We did find one disconnected so plugged it back in but the problem was always there before this so non related. Why would one have been un-plugged in the first place due to a decat?

I thought the MAF would be playing up as it still runs when you disconnect but only just, really tries to stall but will just about stay running with the idle hunting up and down. You may know the car as it used to be in Essex, silver wagon 95 plate with later spec bumpers and bug wheels:

T

Last edited by dale_b_type_r; 13 September 2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 13 September 2008, 06:58 AM
fygtbug
Scooby Regular

i've got exactly what you want for £30 shipped, green label maf from a 96 mcrea
Old 13 September 2008, 07:42 AM
old bob
Scooby Regular

ive got a green label off mine, but im running a MAP so dont need it, only south of Gatwick, so your more than welcome to come grab it and see if it solves your problem
Old 13 September 2008, 07:59 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

MAF inserts are only available for the 99/00 spec cars..................all of the other models need to buy the complete unit unfortunately

have you done a compression test??

alyn
Old 13 September 2008, 12:28 PM
catalunyadave
Scooby Regular

finding a green sensor like yours is easy i have nightmares trying to get a purple one
Old 13 September 2008, 12:37 PM
Ozzy_555
Scooby Regular

Not sure if this is what your after but i spotted this on Ebay

Ebay # 320297655189
Old 13 September 2008, 06:38 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Run a self test and see what numbers come up. I think the maf is 23, i`m sure someone will correct me if i`m wrong. At least then you will know if its a sensor. I had a 95 import and paid over 200 quid for the maf as its the whole unit you have to buy.
Old 13 September 2008, 10:17 PM
dale_b_type_r
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

@ Bob - That sounds great mate are you around tomorrow? (Sunday). Is it in good working order and did you have no running troubles when using it? If so then we can try it on ours and see if it remidies the problem would that be okay? Would certainly save shelling out on a new or used one at least see what is going on thanks for the offer

@ fyg - again thanks for the offer if it does turn out to be the MAF then we will no doubt buy yours or bobs

@ stock - cheers for the confirmation at least we know it's the complete unit or nothing!

@ dave - yeah quite a few on ebay but far fewer purple ones.

@ Ozzy - Thanks for the link buddy

@ wayne - yeah have done and no faults, it used to have crank sensor and 45 which was something to do with the ECU but I think as it had a chip. Replaced the ECu with a stock one and both faults went away.

Will try one of these MAF's and let you know how we get on fingers crossed! Will also do a comp test while we are there for piece of mind.

Thanks for all the help.

T