Notices

SPEEDO HELP URGENTLY NEEDED!!

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2002, 01:20 AM
MyDreamCar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Driving home from work this evening my 95WRX was due to clock 40000 miles, as the mileometer reached 39999 i dropped it down a cog and let rip - wanted to reach the big 40' in style! - however i never reached 40000 miles - the clock has stuck on 39999 and hasnt rolled over - ive done approximately 10 miles like it and its not budging - id had similar where the trip counter wouldnt pass 9.9 miles but had ignored it - now its the speedo the cars locked up in the garage - im not even sure if its legal to drive with no working milometer?? Has anyone else experienced it getting stuck? - if so how can i fix it - i want to avoid an expensive bill if i can cause the clutch needs doing soon!!!

Please help!
Phil
Old 10 February 2002, 12:42 AM
mick s
Scooby Regular

Mydreamcar,I really do not wish to alarm you but the speedo sticking the way you say MAY be an indication that the odometer has been tampered with.Remove the instruments and examine them carefully for marks or damage to the numbers on the dial.I have seen this before,but I hope I am wrong this time.Good luck,Michael
Old 11 February 2002, 01:26 PM
dave fairhurst
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

MyDreamCar
I had a exactly the same problem with my 95WRX. The importer had botched the conversion from kph to mph resulting in the mileometer sticking when it tried to go over the thousand. Luckly I saw the car before the coversion and knew for sure what the reading was in kilometers so I knew the conversion figure was right when it was done.
No way round it really, I had to order a new speedo for the car from Graham Goodes and wait for it to arrive from Japan. Can't remember exactly how much (I could look back at the receipt tonight) but it was well over £200! Obviously the new one starts from zero miles, but you get a certificate from the fitter to state that it was changed at XXXX miles.
I was lucky in that the tripmeter still worked so I was able to keep a spreadsheet of miles done until the new one arrived. This I kept by logging the miles at each fill up and keeping all the fuel receipts as proof (it was only about three weeks so not to bad)
I know there are salvage dealers who have second hand speedo heads for sale and will set them to your mileage, but you may get the same problem again, and also I thought that a complete new speedo head with certified change mileage was better for the history and sale in the future.
It might be worth talking to Pete Croney about changing it as he was very helpful when I needed advice.
Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers

Dave
Old 11 February 2002, 02:53 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Got the same problem on the blackbeast (MY94 WRX Wagon)

simply won't tick over from 65999.

spoke to my garage (not scooby dealer) and basically he reckoned that he could look at it, but they're usually screwed, he said a 2nd hand unit would be 150 quit and a new one about 200 plus. So I think I'll get a second hand unit.

One question, anyone know if I could use an STi one instead of WRX one?
Old 11 February 2002, 08:45 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Markus, i've got an old mileometer in the garage somewhere, it's from a 97my showing i think 69-70000miles if you're interested
Old 02 September 2002, 08:52 PM
miller
Scooby Regular

I don`t know what the problem is but my speedo cable dropped out of the back of the unit and needed to be refitted.

[Edited by miller - 2/9/2002 8:54:56 PM]