Notices

Handbrake turns?? simple question

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2008, 01:23 AM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handbrake turns?? simple question

well, used to do that in my FWD car, and was fun..
and i tried it yesterday, with my awd scoob..

all went well, but abt 100 m away, i got to a roundabout, and i felt the car losing grip. ... well, that didnt seem to b normal cuz i used to do roundabouts at the same speed (not too fast), and just after that, i was taking an exit off the roundabout to join the M23, then i felt it slipping on the road as well,
but everything was fine on the M,way...

well, does that cause damage to the car?? or anything???
should this NOT be done on AWD cars??
any idea y i felt like my car is slipping on the roundabout???

---- for some - am not a mad racer boy, bt i do feel some extra adrenaline in my veins sometimes, when am alone on the road....

thanks.....
Old 09 September 2008, 09:43 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

REPLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Old 09 September 2008, 09:48 PM
adzer
Scooby Regular

handbrake turns just dont lol

i used to be handbrake happy in my fiesta st which was fun at times

then got the scoob and thought ooooooooo drift for real now, so i pulled the handbrake the get the initial drift started, well after a few pulls my cable had stretched pretty badly and now my handbrake is pretty crap and really need to replace the cables.

but with most power hitting ur back wheels its just gonna wear ur brake shoes more than anything
Old 09 September 2008, 09:50 PM
bigdyl69
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't it damage the rear diff handbraking an AWD car?
Old 09 September 2008, 09:54 PM
adzer
Scooby Regular

i wouldn't of thought so but driving a car with handbrake up isn't good for any car so pulling a handbrake on a car that sends most power to the rear wheeels aint gonna do it good imo.

but hey i'm guilty of doing it in the past
Old 09 September 2008, 11:09 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

VBH was using the handbrake a lot in the wrc car she was throwing around at the Mcrae meet
Old 10 September 2008, 03:07 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adzer
i wouldn't of thought so but driving a car with handbrake up isn't good for any car so pulling a handbrake on a car that sends most power to the rear wheeels aint gonna do it good imo.

but hey i'm guilty of doing it in the past
Dont do it, scoobs unless DCCD are perm 4 wd, pulling handbrake up puts strain on expensive drive system, same goes for towing the car, cant lift front and leave rears rolling on road as it will mash your system.
Old 10 September 2008, 08:23 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adzer

then got the scoob and thought ooooooooo drift for real now, so i pulled the handbrake the get the initial drift started,
i never tried drift .... mines a small 125bhp one

not a 300bhp monster YET
Old 10 September 2008, 09:03 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the wrc cars have a different set up i belive, so when the hand brake is pulled it just lockes the rears up, and not the hole awd system.

never a good thing to do in a road car
Old 10 September 2008, 09:18 PM
GreenShadow
Scooby Newbie

Besides rally cars being set-up to only lock the rear wheels their handbrake systems are also converted to hydrolic systems. As mentioned earlier above the conventional cable system just is not designed to take this kind of "abuse" ;-)

Also take note of how the WRC drivers use the handbrake next time you watch some in car footage. They simply flick it on and immediately off typically as they simply use it to induce oversteer. Once oversteer is induced, handbrake comes off and car is steered through the corner using throttle, counter steering and a bit of footbrake dabbing if necessary.

You CAN use your regular handbrake in your road car in the same manner i.e. just to help induce oversteer but in an AWD NEVER drive with the handbrake engaged like you could with a FWD. Power is sent to all four wheels all the time and if you suddenly lock the rear whilst still sending it power, imagine what strain your are putting on your drive train! NOT GOOD! If you do feel the need to use it to induce oversteer, the trick is to engage the clutch first, then handbrake as you turn, once the car is sliding sideways going into oversteer, release the handbrake, let go of the clutch and get reddy to counter steer and throttle powerslide it.

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Last edited by GreenShadow; 10 September 2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Typo errors fixed
Old 10 September 2008, 10:00 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only works with DCCD equipped cars wouldnt try it on a none dccd equipped car unless you want a big bill

Tony
Old 10 September 2008, 10:16 PM
GreenShadow
Scooby Newbie

Hence the use of the clutch BEFORE you engage handbrake trick
Click on my "View My Scooby" and you'll see a pic of me doing exactly this on a skidpan - note frontwheels full counter locked
But agreed, not recommended in general, easier and more forgiving on car in the wet and probably more forgiving on DCCD cars. Besides, we got Scandanavian Flick - who needs handbrake turns! LOL!

Last edited by GreenShadow; 10 September 2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10 September 2008, 11:02 PM
cusco kid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynewbie72
VBH was using the handbrake a lot in the wrc car she was throwing around at the Mcrae meet
wrc cars have hydraulic hand brakes which work on the rear calipers
here is my hyd hand brake set up

Name:  2007_1127sponsor0060.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  75.2 KB
4 pot 330mm x20 compbrake hyd system with normal subaru handbrake for mot and i have dccd as well geo
Old 10 September 2008, 11:10 PM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

When you see how puny looking the handbrake shoes and general set up of the shoe mechanism is, i'm surprised they don't fold in half if you pull it on with any force, never mind while on the move.
Old 10 September 2008, 11:22 PM
cusco kid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by debbiesonic
When you see how puny looking the handbrake shoes and general set up of the shoe mechanism is, i'm surprised they don't fold in half if you pull it on with any force, never mind while on the move.
by law the hand brake only req to be 16% of the tolal brake eff/ because you have a diagonal split or front and rear split braking system .it only a parking brake . geo
Old 14 December 2012, 04:27 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GreenShadow
Besides rally cars being set-up to only lock the rear wheels their handbrake systems are also converted to hydrolic systems. As mentioned earlier above the conventional cable system just is not designed to take this kind of "abuse" ;-)

Also take note of how the WRC drivers use the handbrake next time you watch some in car footage. They simply flick it on and immediately off typically as they simply use it to induce oversteer. Once oversteer is induced, handbrake comes off and car is steered through the corner using throttle, counter steering and a bit of footbrake dabbing if necessary.

You CAN use your regular handbrake in your road car in the same manner i.e. just to help induce oversteer but in an AWD NEVER drive with the handbrake engaged like you could with a FWD. Power is sent to all four wheels all the time and if you suddenly lock the rear whilst still sending it power, imagine what strain your are putting on your drive train! NOT GOOD! If you do feel the need to use it to induce oversteer, the trick is to engage the clutch first, then handbrake as you turn, once the car is sliding sideways going into oversteer, release the handbrake, let go of the clutch and get reddy to counter steer and throttle powerslide it.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
i know this is an old post but how much would it roughly cost to convert your handbrake on non dccd to wrc style? hydrolic that allows for this? or would it be cheaper going dccd
Old 19 December 2020, 11:15 PM
Cej rally car
Scooby Newbie

Default I have got a std dccd to go from o<nm to 800<nm in seconds on fiber plates

[QUOTE=adzer;8121897]handbrake turns just dont lol

i used to be handbrake happy in my fiesta st which was fun at times

then got the scoob and thought ooooooooo drift for real now, so i pulled the handbrake the get the initial drift started, well after a few pulls my cable had stretched pretty badly and now my handbrake is pretty crap and really need to replace the cables.

but with most power hitting ur back wheels its just gonna wear ur brake shoes more than anything[/QUOTEI have
Old 19 December 2020, 11:18 PM
Cej rally car
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Underworld
well, used to do that in my FWD car, and was fun..
and i tried it yesterday, with my awd scoob..

all went well, but abt 100 m away, i got to a roundabout, and i felt the car losing grip. ... well, that didnt seem to b normal cuz i used to do roundabouts at the same speed (not too fast), and just after that, i was taking an exit off the roundabout to join the M23, then i felt it slipping on the road as well,
but everything was fine on the M,way...

well, does that cause damage to the car?? or anything???
should this NOT be done on AWD cars??
any idea y i felt like my car is slipping on the roundabout???

---- for some - am not a mad racer boy, bt i do feel some extra adrenaline in my veins sometimes, when am alone on the road....

thanks.....
a dccd can do it on full throttle hand brake up but not on std loom
Old 20 December 2020, 12:55 PM
pjarvis6666
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

12 yr old thread revival. how are people posting on old threads out of the blue. seems to happen all the time
Old 20 December 2020, 08:49 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by pjarvis6666
12 yr old thread revival. how are people posting on old threads out of the blue. seems to happen all the time
using the search function and continuing a thread rather than starting the same topic multiple times.