Notices

pas broke or not

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2008, 04:46 PM
PJF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pas broke or not

Hi people, my power stearing pump has started making a kind of grinding sort of sound anyone have any ideas on what could be causing it eg something loose or just ****ed
any help would be great
Old 07 September 2008, 04:32 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Have you checked the power steering fluid level? Quite common to growl if the level is low. Check the rack, pipwork and cooler in front of the radiator for leaks.

Tony
Old 07 September 2008, 07:30 PM
PJF
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the response, there is a leak around the bottom of the pump and i found the pipe that goes behind the radiator has a hole init (****)
The power stearing fluid is at the right level though and im not sure why, surely it should be getting lower
Gonna order a new pipe tomorrow but was also wondering if anyone knows a likely cause for the pump to be leaking i.e washers something loose
This car just seems to empty my wallet but i do love driving it
Old 08 September 2008, 01:19 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

How bad is the leak under the pump? Is it shiney wet or just dirty damp? Have had four scoobs and all have had some signs of leak under the pump so as long as not shiney wet wouldn't worry. Clean it up and monitor to see how quickly it comes back.

Am betting your main leak is the cooler loop in front of the radiator. Quick fix. Undo the 2 bolts that hold the rad in place and you will find that you can reach the cooler pipe. Identify the exact leak point. Find a bit of rubber or cork sheet and cut to a suitable size to cover the hole (abot 15mm square should do it). Using a suitable sized jubilee clip (9.5 to 12mm or size000 should do it) open it right up and then reclose it over the pipe. Position the little gasket you just made over the hole and clamp it in place with the jubilee clip. Not too tight as a corroded cooling pipe is weak and may collapse.

Start the engine and take the steering from lock to lock a few times to bleed the system and check your leak is fixed. Recheck and top up your steering fluid level as necessary and bolt the rad back into place. This will keep you on the road for a good few weeks until the new pipe arrives. Worked for me anyway. Not permanent as the fluid will eventually rot your temporary gasket.

Good luck and keep us posted

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 08 September 2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08 September 2008, 05:54 PM
PJF
Scooby Regular

Cheers, im gonna do your quick fix idea in a mo, i have ordered a pipe and should be able to pick it up this week but the quick fix means i can drive to work tomorrow.
i will keep an eye on the leak by the pump i dont thing its shiny fluid so hopefully not to much of a problem
Old 08 September 2008, 09:10 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

How much is the new pipe by the way? And where did you order it from?

Just curious...
Old 11 September 2008, 07:20 AM
PJF
Scooby Regular

I ordered it from the main dealer so didnt get much change from £100 but it had all the brackets on there so took less than 15 mins to do
Topped the fluid up and is now sorted no leaky pipe or funny sounds coming from the engine bay
Old 11 September 2008, 07:40 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Glad you got it sorted.

Would recommend you find a local Impreza (or least jap performance) breakers to keep costs down. Believe me, you are going to need one. If nothing local then try Scoobyteknix Welcome Page who will find a quality used part and post it to you. Purchased my replacement pipe (all the way back to the pump) from them for £10.

Sorry, didn't mean to **** you off, at least you got it sorted and can enjoy the thrill of watching the petrol gauge go down without any worrying grinding noises again.

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 12 September 2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 14 September 2008, 10:57 AM
PJF
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info, at least i will know for next time anything to reduce costs helps the cause (or goes towards petrol)