REMAPPING QUESTIONS!

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2008, 02:29 PM
Foxo_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REMAPPING QUESTIONS!

Hi all,

I've just had my Impreza WRX 2004 remapped by Pro Chips and to be honest, I'm not overly impressed! I was expecting a lot more power after the remap. I should have gone somewhere which had a dyno run really so I knew exactly what the power increase was...

The remap was supposed to give an additional 40-45bhp/60Nm torque. When I drive it I'm thinking, yeah it's a bit quicker at 4000rpm where the guy said it will be, but then I'm thinking, is it? Am I just imagining this!?

Q1) If the BHP increase was suppsed to be 40-45bhp, surely it should be pretty noticable?? Maybe I was expecting too much I don't know, but the way it is at the min I wish I'd not bothered...!

Q2) I've also heard that the power should improve over time as the sensors need to learn the new program that's been inputted into the ECU?? Is that true? Could the power take a month or so to improve? Or longer?

Q3) Also, would it make a difference if the ECU was reset? Would this allow the ECU to re-learn the new settings?

Q4) Is there anything I can do to make it feel like my money was well spent?!

I'd really appreciate some help on this fella's coz I'm p!ssed off!!

Thanks everyone...

Nick
Old 06 September 2008, 02:44 PM
mike799
Scooby Regular

with supporting mods a remap will be very noticeable,what supporting mods have you done?did you have your original ecu mapped with ecutek?
Old 06 September 2008, 02:58 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

do you know what power your car was making before the remap, if so you need to get it on the rollers again to check whether it has gained any more power. dont be fooled by how the car feels on the road as if it has been set up well sometimes the car doesnt feel much quicker as it will be pulling through the gears a lot smoother.ive had many a remap and made 40-50 hp more but when i got it on the road thought well does it feel quicker or not.
Old 06 September 2008, 03:23 PM
Foxo_WRX
Scooby Newbie

I've got a WR sport back box and just a green cotton air filter on it... nothin else tho. The remap was with pro chips.

Think the car is supposed to be 221bhp standard, but I'm just going off the book there. I think I might put it on the rollin road yeah, coz at the min I'm just going off how it feels and it's difficult to tell!
Old 06 September 2008, 04:15 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunatly it sounds like they have possibly loaded a generic rom file or worse.

I would get your money back and then get the car custom remapped, the change afterward will be very noticable.

Simon
Old 06 September 2008, 08:25 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

How long did it take to map it? On the road I would expect a couple of hours all in. They should have fitted a lambda sensor and used det cans as well.

As JGM has posted I would expect they have loaded a generic map which might not be entirely suitable for you individal car.

Did they "road dyno" it for you with something like Delta Dash ??

Shaun
Old 06 September 2008, 08:38 PM
hybrid12
Scooby Regular

to be honest mat if you havent had your car decatted you wont see a big power gain with a remap
Old 06 September 2008, 10:03 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hybrid12
to be honest mat if you havent had your car decatted you wont see a big power gain with a remap
35~45hp and similar torque.. ie. very noticable.. as well as more throttle response and better mpg
Old 07 September 2008, 01:37 AM
Benji554
Scooby Regular

I agree with hybrid. I had my first ecutek remap done with just a WR sport backbox, H&S center section and K&N panel. It made about 270 bhp (prior to the remap it was showing 237 bhp. But I didn't really feel a huge difference on the road.

A few months later I fitted the H&S sport cat down pipe and magnex up-pipe (and another remap). That made a huge difference on the road. So much more responsive and fuel economy is much better (and 290bhp!)
Old 07 September 2008, 11:48 AM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

I must agree with JGM you should notice a difference. It's just wrong to say you wouldn't notice a rise of 33bhp, torque would also be increased and general drivability vastly improved. I know I drive a classic, but after 2hrs with Bob Rawle my car went from 225 to 281 and it went through a stage of being at 265ish. Even at 265 I could really feel the difference, until Bob popped in an Sti restrictor and off we went again and achieved 281. In short follow JGM's advice take it back and get a refund. Let us know where you are and maybe someone can recommend a top quality mapper.
Old 07 September 2008, 07:54 PM
deansscooby
Scooby Regular

hopefuly JGM will be doing mine in 3 weeks or so
Old 08 September 2008, 07:43 PM
Foxo_WRX
Scooby Newbie

It took about an hour and a half to do, I've booked the car into Dyno Demon in Neston, Wirral tomorrow so I'll know exactly what the bhp is then.

I would have thought I'd feel a bit of extra power from the remap but maybe I do need a couple of other mods to really feel an increase of power...

Cheers for the info though anyway fella's!
Old 08 September 2008, 08:23 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had my car re-mapped 4 times following upgrades over the last couple of years. Driving away from the tuners I've always had mixed feelings about any differences. At first I put it down to heat soak and I think this was a factor but now, in my case, I think its adjusting to a different car to get the best out of it.
Old 09 September 2008, 12:59 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

hour and a half isn't time to do a full map, sounds like they have just dumped a generic map on it.
Old 09 September 2008, 01:07 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Foxo_WRX
Hi all,

I've just had my Impreza WRX 2004 remapped by Pro Chips and to be honest, I'm not overly impressed! I was expecting a lot more power after the remap. I should have gone somewhere which had a dyno run really so I knew exactly what the power increase was...

The remap was supposed to give an additional 40-45bhp/60Nm torque. When I drive it I'm thinking, yeah it's a bit quicker at 4000rpm where the guy said it will be, but then I'm thinking, is it? Am I just imagining this!?

Q1) If the BHP increase was suppsed to be 40-45bhp, surely it should be pretty noticable?? Maybe I was expecting too much I don't know, but the way it is at the min I wish I'd not bothered...!

Q2) I've also heard that the power should improve over time as the sensors need to learn the new program that's been inputted into the ECU?? Is that true? Could the power take a month or so to improve? Or longer?

Q3) Also, would it make a difference if the ECU was reset? Would this allow the ECU to re-learn the new settings?

I'd really appreciate some help on this fella's coz I'm p!ssed off!!

Thanks everyone...

Nick
1) Yes it would, but its not all about peak power; a remap should make the car more flexible and nicer to drive generally, not just at a certain point.
2) No, a remap should be good to go from the start, as the ECU has the settings from the get go.
3) No. New age DENSO ECUs adapt very quickly and, as already stated, it should be right from the get go. If it aint right now, it's never gonna be!
4)Yes, get it remapped properly! i.e. ECUTEK via a recognised expert.

To get the biggest gains, you need to remap after exhaust mods though- the std system is very restrictive.

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 09 September 2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09 September 2008, 04:39 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Was it this place ?

Pro Chips, Car Engine Tuning & Diagnostic Services in Skelmersdale - ThomsonLocal.com

I can't find much other info about them.

Shaun
Old 09 September 2008, 05:20 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

ok 1 at a time...

yes you should notice an increase, but youo dont know it was increased that amount, you are taking someones word for it till you have a dyno run.

nope, imo it should be right first time, its a set of mathmatical values, the map wont change nor will the sensors ease over time

Depends what map you had on what ecu, sorry dont have more to offer yet

sorry but it looks like you may have been stung, you could put it down to experience and use a more repsected mapper next time a quick search on here will throw up the usual names, personally I use jolly green monster, but have used andy.F and Pavlo (now Zen) in the past to great effect.
Old 09 September 2008, 07:58 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I guess they were cheaper than the "usual suspects" ?

You get what you pay for, and I wouldn't use a F*rd man to map a Scooby either !

Try for a refund, fit a sports cat and get a proper re-map !

LOL

DunxC