Notices

Look what I just found! Some type of uprated ECU any help appreciated! :-)

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2008, 02:55 PM
dale_b_type_r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Look what I just found! Some type of uprated ECU any help appreciated! :-)

Hi all,

Right after having a good fish around while doing some work on the 95 Wagon WRX Import I stumbled across this on the ECU:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...0820081510.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...0820081511.jpg

At first I thought this was a UK mod with a name like Red Zone but when I read the slogan "We present you a big power" then I could only assume it's Japanese has anyone seen anything like this before?

If so can you shed any light on the unit, if it's a chipped ECU, replacement ECU, one from a different model etc? Most of the ECU's I have seen for classic95 Impreza's are the W6 model but this is a U8 what do the usually come on?

As some may know the car has bad hesitation above 0.5 bar, changing the plugs today and checking the coil packs. The car pops (burbles) quite a lot with gentle gear changes which makes me think it's running Rich, it's also smells really fuelly when it hesitates over 0.5 bar, under this it's spot on but the hesitation is quite savage.

At least we now know how the Wagon is boosting over stock boost!

If anyone has any idea then let us know thanks in advance!

T

Last edited by dale_b_type_r; 23 August 2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 23 August 2008, 03:07 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

open up the ecu as i would expect there to be some extra chip in there
The standard early ecu looks like this

You should not find a W6 or U8 ecu in a wagon as these are both 92-94 wrx saloon ecus
Old 23 August 2008, 03:58 PM
dale_b_type_r
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice. Do you know what model code ECU the Wagon 95 WRX Imports were supposed to come with? Just the two figures will do. I'm not sure how many variations there would be.

We only bought the car as a nice run around that we can use for towing and we don't really want to run more than standard power, the Wagon does have a filter and exhaust but that's it. Also TD05 unless that is standard on these although thought it was TD04, do we even an need engine management upgrade? If not maybe we can just find a stock ECU and plug it back in but it may be hard to ascertain which one it came with.

If anyone has seen one of these "Red Zone" signs before with alternate model ECU installed then let us know, as above at least we've ascertained that it didn''t originally come with this ECU. Was this a possible upgrade in Japan, using a different ECU from another model? Maybe the older ones were re-mappable? Excuse the questions, competent with a Spanner but new to Subaru's!

Best Regards,

T
Old 23 August 2008, 04:03 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

your wagon should have a 3b or v9 ecu mate. Mine had a 3b. I would not recomend you continue to use that ecu. As stated it is a saloon ecu with a Jap chip in it. Jap chips are usually mapped for rediculous boost targets and 100+ ron fuel.
3b ecus come up on flee bay and go for peanuts. dont pay any more than £40 or one. Ill guess your wagon will then run much smoother. The bad hesitation is probably due to the crap fuel we have over here that that ecu map cant cope with.

Last edited by dj219957; 23 August 2008 at 04:06 PM. Reason: knackered keyboard!
Old 23 August 2008, 04:05 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

just read you think the car has td05 fited if it does then either remove the chip in your ecu and reconnect the j1 resistor or get another stock u8, w6 or z4 ecu.
Old 23 August 2008, 04:08 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

td04 i think should be the standard turbo,the U8 is mapped for a td05.
Wagon codes are 1c,V5,V9 and 3b but i don't know which one should fit your car.
Most obscure Jap chips aren't remappable without sending them back to the original company (i.e. back to Japan).
To see what/how it's running have a rolling road session to see how it's running as the japanese have a tendency to run aggressive fuel/boost maps
Old 23 August 2008, 04:57 PM
dale_b_type_r
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the posts lads:

@ DJ - Yeah the previous owner did state in the advert that it was a TD05, he didn't do any of the mods though so going on what he said, are their any TD05 markings on the housings? It makes me think it does have a TD05 especially as we've now found a U8 ECU which I guess is from the Saloon 94 WRX that ran a TD05? What else was different about these models, was the turbo the only difference? Is it literally a case of finding a stock U8 and plugging back in, will all the variables be the same between the Saloon and Wagon apart from the turbo?

I've seen a few W6's on eBay no U8's. If it does have a TD05 then I would imagine it's best to not get an original Wagon ECU as the turbo will be different.

@ my - That's a very good idea will be getting her on a dyno soon. The thing is the car has been in the UK for a good few years so the management won't have been changed. The car was owned by a Scooby Net member before the owner we bought her from so it makes me think that at some point this all worked fine, I can't believe they have had this hesitation over two years especially with a forum member where most are up to speed with what to do with imports. Seems a strange one, unless the ECU was modified at some point here in the UK with a different chip stumped really!

I must admit it does burble as if it's running a little Rich on light gear changes and smells really fuelly when she hesitates over 0.5 bar but put that down to plugs/coil packs.

Thanks for all the help lads..

T
Old 23 August 2008, 05:54 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

its not a red wagon is it? i put a u8 and td05 on my old 95 wrx wagon.
no markings on turbo that i know of
no other major differences engine wise between wagon an saloon other than ecu and turbo.
get yourself a standard u8 r w6 or z4 and your away.
Old 23 August 2008, 08:30 PM
cookie79
Scooby Regular

mine has a 1c on it
Old 24 August 2008, 04:47 AM
dale_b_type_r
Scooby Regular

@ dj - No it's silver mate but I guess running a similar setup to yours how did yours go? This has it's moments but with the hesitation in the way it's hard to test performance! I've found a W6 ECU so will put that on and report back, fingers crossed it will remidy the problem.

One fact is that the car has been in the UK for a good few years and I can't believe it has been running like this for all of this time with this ECU, which makes me think that it's possible a new chip was installed and this is not the problem but for the £30.00 odd for a replacement ECU it's worth a go!

@ cookie - Yeah ours runs a TD05 so we need the ECU from the saloon, from what I can see early Wagon models came with the TD04.

Thanks all,

T
Old 24 August 2008, 10:05 AM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

mine ran perfect - good luck - let us know how you get on.
Old 24 August 2008, 10:34 AM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

pop it on a rolling road and let them check how its fueling