sti heads

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2008, 06:34 PM
whataz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sti heads

hi guys

just building an engine to put in my 97 sti i have an ej257 block with eagle rods and wiesco pistons. can someone tell me the difference between a set of 96 wrx heads and 96 sti heads as i have aquired some thinkin they were sti but have been told by the garage building my engine they are wrx hydraulic heads

hope this link works to the pic if someone could help me that be great

cheers
Old 10 August 2008, 07:36 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard to tell from the pics but they look like Version 2 cylinder heads and dont look like STi cams.

'93 -96 WRX heads are:
Head Codes LH and RH
Valve Codes I252/E281,2 or 3.
40 mm Red coded valve springs.
Hydraulic lifters 30mm O/D.
Cams L/R 2+3 IN/EX.

Mick
Old 10 August 2008, 07:59 PM
whataz
Scooby Regular

Default cheers

thanks for the info there mate i really appreciate it. now to check the numbers and try to get my money back. cheers
Old 11 August 2008, 06:26 PM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

this fella on ebay...he fleeced me with a pair of WRX hydraulic heads as STI's. Even after him telling me that they were deffo STI. I bought them and inspected them as the pics were unclear.. I read on another thread how to identify (mick!). Didnt ever follow it up.... BEWARE OF THIS SELLER!
Old 11 August 2008, 06:37 PM
whataz
Scooby Regular

when was it you got them off him and did you manage to get your money back? i'm thinkin if you returned them i've got the same pair of heads you originally bought. he's askin what technically isnt sti about them so i can get my refund and return them

cheers for the info maybe we should warn everyone on scooby net about this guy if he's startin to do this on a regular basis
Old 11 August 2008, 07:01 PM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

well I didnt even bother following it up, as mine is my daily driver, so needed it back on the road and couldn't wait for a refund & to source more. I fitted them straight after having them tested and they work fine, but did come with a few bent cam shaft bolts, luckily I had bought new ones from Subaru. I should of asked him for the difference back in a refund...but don't know what a pair of WRX heads would go for anyway!

Have you had them tested yet!? Mine TBH were pretty clean..

Maybe he needs a quick chat with Mick to understand what are/aren't STI heads!!!

Tucker
Old 11 August 2008, 07:24 PM
whataz
Scooby Regular

yea mine are quite clean also no bent valves etc. this is the second time this has happened with me. 1st time i bought a complete ej257 sti engine with supposed forged/uprated internals and it went bang after 400 miles. when they stripped it apart they found a bodjed sump guard plate which had bits stripped off because of the bad job they had done putting it together. bits were found in the chambers the crank oil pump etc and further investigation found wrx heads on that not sti. from now on i'm goin to go n see parts instead of trust descriptions. i've emailed him back about the codes etc and awaiting a reply now. i'll post up what happens next
Old 11 August 2008, 07:32 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

this is the second time this has happened with me.
Really sorry to hear that. I really don't trust ebay any more, there are so many scammers. You are much more likely to get the right parts, if you buy them off someone on here ... although people do occasionally get ripped off, I would say it happens much less often.
Old 11 August 2008, 07:39 PM
whataz
Scooby Regular

cheers bud. yea its true to say i have had quite a bit of bad luck but i aint givin up on the ones who done me over just yet i'm still persuing em for some pennies. but yea everyone on here has been great bought a few parts and couldnt complain. noticed most of all people on here usually want to meet you with the parts so straight away fills you with a bit of confidence. so far spent 14k on my baby and its done 4k since i bought her last march

oh well things can only get better!!