engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2008, 04:57 PM
preza si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine rebuild

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice, i have a ej20 that i'm going to rebuild, the block is out of a v5 type r. The big end has gone on No 3, there is also a little bit of movement in the pistons (slap) other than that it ran fine.
I will be looking to get around a reliable 400ish BHP, i will also be looking to do some track days with it.

At present the car has got a td05/20g turbo, 550 injectors, SX Fuel Pressure Regulator, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Helix uprated top mount intercooler designed for an sti 8, front mounted oil cooler, equal length headers and uprated uppipe. I also have one of the RCMS oil pumps.

The question is what sort of internals, head gasket and other things would i need to get this sort of power?

Also if anybody knows of any good suppliers that are well priced that would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Simon
Old 29 July 2008, 08:30 PM
Ami
Scooby Regular

I'd say you need at least forged rods - v5 pistons aren't so bad and should handle up to those 400bhp, but if you have enough money you can think about forged pistons, too.
If you do a rebuild it's anyway good idea to check them all.
I'm not too sure - for piston slap new, oversized rings should be probably enough, but not necessarily...

In v5 block sti I would also think about v9 sti shaft, which is the same in "shape", but strengthened.

I think the standard Subaru head gaskets should be good enough.

And when you finish with new stronger engine think about your gearbox - is it strong enough to deal with such a power and, what's even more important, probably pretty big torque...
Old 30 July 2008, 08:28 AM
preza si
Scooby Regular

thanks
Old 30 July 2008, 02:23 PM
New_scooby_04

Suggest you speak to David at APi for advice.

ns04
Old 30 July 2008, 08:28 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ami
I'd say you need at least forged rods - v5 pistons aren't so bad and should handle up to those 400bhp, but if you have enough money you can think about forged pistons, too.
If you do a rebuild it's anyway good idea to check them all.
I'm not too sure - for piston slap new, oversized rings should be probably enough, but not necessarily...

In v5 block sti I would also think about v9 sti shaft, which is the same in "shape", but strengthened.

I think the standard Subaru head gaskets should be good enough.

And when you finish with new stronger engine think about your gearbox - is it strong enough to deal with such a power and, what's even more important, probably pretty big torque...
Oversized rings means that you will need a rebore for the oversize pistons to match the rings Simon - have the block measured to determine exactly what condition the bores are in (size,taper and ovality).
Once that is done,you can decide on going with the standard size OEM pistons or forged pistons to support your current/future mods.
As ns04 said above - have a chat with David @ API - he will give you a lot of info and options.

Mick
Old 31 July 2008, 09:16 AM
preza si
Scooby Regular

may have a quick chat with him.

cheers guys