Little help for a novice plz

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2008, 10:06 AM
BFDSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little help for a novice plz

Hello guys just like to firstly say great forum is this

Right iv just sold my R32 and bought a 1998 UK Turbo and have to say i love it already

Well basically i want to add a little more horse power to my Scoob

It is pretty much standard apart from samco hoses , blitz exhaust system and a piper cross IK which is getting replaced with the factory box .

Iv been reading there isnt a remap option for the 98

What can i do to get a little more horse power ?

many thanks for any info
Old 21 July 2008, 12:33 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

i had the same issues only option is to replace the ecu with something like a apexi, so far with mine i have fully decated the exhaust, fitted 440 injectors, vf22 turbo and a apexi. mine is now running 300bhp and boosts at 1.3 bar. if you want more power you don't have to change everything just my choice but you do need to bite the bullet and replace the ecu i'm afraid.
Old 21 July 2008, 02:15 PM
BFDSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TingTongPJ
i had the same issues only option is to replace the ecu with something like a apexi, so far with mine i have fully decated the exhaust, fitted 440 injectors, vf22 turbo and a apexi. mine is now running 300bhp and boosts at 1.3 bar. if you want more power you don't have to change everything just my choice but you do need to bite the bullet and replace the ecu i'm afraid.
Thanks for the info mate

Does it have to be a Apexi ecu ?
Old 21 July 2008, 02:31 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

yes i'm running a apexi ecu, you can't do much without the ecu option. if you don't want to spend loads the apeix is probably the best option cost you between 3-5 hundred depending if you buy new or second hand then you need to get it mapped. i'll give you some free advice though which took me ages to sort but the people on here where very kind in helping. if you swap the ecu you will need to swap 2 pins around in one plug and move one of the pins in another if your fitting one yourself. its easy to do but won't start without it (bloody uk cars lol)
Old 21 July 2008, 04:28 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I believe ESL may be able to remap the ECU in the near future.

Simtek is another option to the Apexi.

Best to talk to whoever you choose to map the car, they will advise you on worthwhile mods before the map also.
Old 21 July 2008, 09:53 PM
BFDSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
I believe ESL may be able to remap the ECU in the near future.

Simtek is another option to the Apexi.

Best to talk to whoever you choose to map the car, they will advise you on worthwhile mods before the map also.
hope its soon

Another question

could i fit a STI ECU ? and could that be remaped ?
Old 22 July 2008, 09:17 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

You could fit an STI ECU but it wouldn't be worth doing, it still can't be remapped and it will expect a VFxx turbo and 440 injectors, so if anything it would be an unsafe thing to do!

Trending Topics

Old 22 July 2008, 11:48 AM
BFDSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
You could fit an STI ECU but it wouldn't be worth doing, it still can't be remapped and it will expect a VFxx turbo and 440 injectors, so if anything it would be an unsafe thing to do!
Ah right i see thanks for the info mate

Think i might have to put her up for sale/PX and buy a STI , only had her 2 weeks

Last edited by BFDSCOOBY; 22 July 2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 22 July 2008, 12:01 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

you need to decide what you want horsepower wise.

For your age of car I imagine you are only going to be getting an early sti. The downside with this is it will probably be an import and therefore may need to be mapped anyway so it is best suited to uk fuel, so this is more cost.

If you only want a mildish upgrade in power then you could get a sigma ecu (would choose that over the apexi as it has more features and is a new ecu so support should be round for a long time yet), get a decat downpipe (or sports cat) and you can easily be around the 280 horsepower range. For more power you would then be looking at bigger injectors and a bigger turbo (your turbo will start running out of efficiency soon over 280ish)
Old 22 July 2008, 12:25 PM
BFDSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
you need to decide what you want horsepower wise.

For your age of car I imagine you are only going to be getting an early sti. The downside with this is it will probably be an import and therefore may need to be mapped anyway so it is best suited to uk fuel, so this is more cost.

If you only want a mildish upgrade in power then you could get a sigma ecu (would choose that over the apexi as it has more features and is a new ecu so support should be round for a long time yet), get a decat downpipe (or sports cat) and you can easily be around the 280 horsepower range. For more power you would then be looking at bigger injectors and a bigger turbo (your turbo will start running out of efficiency soon over 280ish)
Thankyou very much for the info mate , thats what i like about this place ppl in the know

TBH 280 bhp is about were i want the car so your suggestions sound good , as the sub iv bought is in mint condition with full Subaru stamped history .

will look into sigma now
Old 22 July 2008, 01:01 PM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

Some late 98 cars (oct+ iirc) are actually MY99 cars and hence can be remapped using EcuTek license. An easy way to tell is open the bonnet. Look at the inlet manifold. if the coil pack is in the centre its the earier MY98 if it is off set to the side its a MY99