Prodrive Classic Tweaking

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2008, 12:27 PM
Laz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prodrive Classic Tweaking

Morning All!

I've been lurking around here for a while learning from all of your experiences -thanks! I have a few experiences of my own I'd like to share too from owning a scooby for 5 years (the same one) so thought I'd sign up.

But first, I need someone to save me from going nuts (well, more so than usual ); despite spending weeks searching the net and past threads , I can't find the answers I'm looking for - I'm hoping you can all help:

I have a 95 impreza UK 2000AWD 5 door. It has a PPP from 97. I have had installed a K&N57i induction kit, Bailey dump valve and samco coolant and turbo hoses (old car and the hoses started splitting). STI8 scoop and induction scoop. Everything works great pulls and responds very well. But I sense its holding back a little. I've got the induction Kit, so maybe an exhaust mod would shift air through abit better. I'm not interested in big BHP, just smooth safe boost, responsiveness and handling.

The Prodrive exhaust only involves the back box.

What I need to know is,

1. Would it be OK to put in a 100cell sports cat downpipe without badly affecting the Prodrive ECU? I don't want to go to the trouble and expense of a remap.

2. Would it be better to leave the OEM downpipe and remove the Cat in the centre section?

3. Will the car overboost, and if so, what is a simple way to control it?

Any other suggestions?

I need it to pass emmissions tests.

Looking forward to some replies and getting to know you all.

Cheers
Laz
Old 16 July 2008, 12:28 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

to get the best out of the mods it will need mapping simple as
Old 16 July 2008, 12:43 PM
Laz
Scooby Newbie

OK - Thanks.

So, if I put the sports cat down pipe on, just take it to be mapped?

Any suggestions as to where? I'm in North Wales.

And what type of mapping?

Many thanks!

Laz
Old 16 July 2008, 12:46 PM
Laz
Scooby Newbie

OK - Thanks.

So, if I put the sports cat down pipe on, just take it to be mapped?

Any suggestions as to where? I'm in North Wales.

And which map?

Many thanks!

Laz
Old 16 July 2008, 01:10 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

the 97's can't be mapped without a piggy back ecu.

i use scoobyclinic for all my work and mapping, sure they can help
Old 16 July 2008, 03:02 PM
Laz
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Tidgy

I have sent an email to SC. I've also emailed Prodrive to find out exactly which PP they applied and when - as its a 95 car, but was mapped by them in 97 (I think), so not sure which PP they would have applied.

Hopefully all will become clear.

As it stands, the car drives very well.

If I have it mapped, I suppose i'll lose the Prodrive performance through the mid range??? Or would a new map be able to mimmick the original performance?

Many thanks
Laz
Old 16 July 2008, 04:32 PM
j16jrf
Scooby Regular

on the 1997 car (same as mine) you actually wont beed it remapped for these simple mods.

Though you will need to invest in a boost controller of some sort or the car will overboost and hit the fuel cut which is not a nice experience.

The 1997 ecu will learn what you have done and will respond to its new mods better than the later models which require mapping.
Old 16 July 2008, 04:36 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by j16jrf
on the 1997 car (same as mine) you actually wont beed it remapped for these simple mods.

Though you will need to invest in a boost controller of some sort or the car will overboost and hit the fuel cut which is not a nice experience.

The 1997 ecu will learn what you have done and will respond to its new mods better than the later models which require mapping.

The ecu is only so good changing anything from the PPP spec normally causes a problem or two, this includes induction kits, decats and dv's, it wont be learning unfortunately as its pushing beyond its fixed boundries, it really does need to be remapped or put back on the original ecu which can cope with a decat (though vta dv's are not recommended).

Tony
Old 16 July 2008, 05:53 PM
j16jrf
Scooby Regular

ahh didnt realise that the PPP made it less tuneable (as such) than standard.

every day is a school day
Old 16 July 2008, 06:01 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

Default PPP pack

I thought that the PPP pack on that model year included a Sport cat downpipe and intercooler hose as well as ECU mods.
Old 16 July 2008, 06:02 PM
Laz
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies!

Seems to be some conflicting opinions

I have run it by a top scooby tuner (maybe some of you are too???) and he suggests that the mods inc sports cat downpipe should be fine - the ECU I have should adjust quite happily with it. And he could have just sold me a remap. He'll be getting my future custom for sure

And, it does seem to stand up with the mods I have done so far - the induction kit and BOV have been adjusted to by the ECU. As the mods aren't likely to return high BHP, it should be within the ECU and engine capability (no more than 270BHP should be OK for a classic 95 car with 97 PPP?).

The responsiveness so far is much better; the car gets a workout going up the Snowdon massive regularly. I just figured that with the cold air induction kit and scoops, freeing up the downpipe with a sports cat would be OK.

The biggest drawback is heatsoak....well.....when the great Welsh waterpray is actually turned off for a couple of days that is! I'm planning on an STI8 scoop with splitter and induction scoop to counter that - not really my style, but more cold air is more cold air! Maybe in time an STI manual IC waterspray to douse the IC inbetween runs. After 5 years I know when thats required now (because I know when the power fade is likely from sustained heavy boot action) Oh yeah - and I'll have the downpipe cermaic coated before she goes on.

Thats my reasoning so far - of course, doesn't mean I'm right though, so please keep any considered opinions coming

I don't know anything about boost controllers (other than a light right foot) - sounds like a good safety feature - any suggestions? I like simple and manual

Cheers
Laz
Old 16 July 2008, 06:24 PM
Laz
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Tazz Kill Er
I thought that the PPP pack on that model year included a Sport cat downpipe and intercooler hose as well as ECU mods.
The info I have (it was tuned by a previous owner) is that the upgrade included a modified ECU, rear silencer, freeflow airfilter and uprated pads. The Prodrive 16" gold speedlines and a nardi quickshift were added later.

I have contacted Prodrive to find out what exactly 'modified ECU' means, but have yet to hear anything back. They should be able to tell me exactly what it is that I have.

As the car is a good age and blew a rad hose, I changed all the coolant and turbo hoses to samco. Ancillaries next. She runs on Super unleaded all the time, and has irridium plugs and 10-60 full synth oil. I periodically run Prolong and valve cleaner.

The brakes are useless for the performance on the hills and bends round here. So I bit the bullet and upgraded to subaru 4 pots with Ian Godney's 335mm upgrade kit. This meant the wheels had to be changed, so I'm waiting for some 17" redlines. Can't wait!

The idea is to keep the car as authentic as poss with the mods - its badged Prodrive.

I know Prodrive used a sport cat downpipe on later models, so I thought I might try it.

This is all good discussion for me - thanks! Please keep it coming

Cheers
Laz
Old 17 July 2008, 12:27 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

No sports cat on the classics, decatted centre section, intercooler piping with Prodrive on it, exhaust system (downpipe cat back) and backbox, older models had a ramair filter, newer models didnt, uprated ECU.

If the car is also badged prodrive and is a factory prodrive car, it should have ALL the extras on full leather (recaro?) seats, wheels, suspension, PIAA lights, and they are pretty rare (oh and a/c )

Tony
Old 17 July 2008, 12:33 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

1 more thing, you say your car is an MY95, which runs a TD05 turbo, the MY97 ran a TD04 turbo, trust me, if its got a ppp ecu from an MY97 car it wont be happy or has it had a PPP fitted in 1997? (you should have the certificate from prodrive if it has )

Tony
Old 17 July 2008, 07:09 AM
Laz
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Tony - great info!

I think we're getting to the bottom of it now - it had the PPP fitted in 97. But this would have been tailored to the 95 car ECU and Turbo - No?

It had the aircon fitted later (which I've had taken out) with the Prodrive speedlines. It didn't have the full spec interior. I've uprated the piping.

When I say badged, I don't mean the full works. But its still been tuned by Prodrive, and thats how I'd like to keep it.

So how does it stand now? The TD05 is a better turbo isn't it? And the pre 97 cars had a less temperamental ECU?

The car is very happy even with the DV and Cone filter.

Cheers
Laz

Last edited by Laz; 17 July 2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old 17 July 2008, 08:51 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

the ppp kits is a generic prodrive map, sports cats and a panel filter.

the remap will improve low, mid and top end performance.

the td05 is mroe capable than the later td04 turbo.