Notices

No steering turning like the titanic

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2008, 10:17 AM
WRXVAS
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No steering turning like the titanic

I own an 2002 wrx , problem is that at idle & stopped i can not steer the blooming thing, after 10mph power steering comes back ..... anyone had this problem?

what the price on pwer steering pumps thease days

thanks for you time reading

1st post after 2 years very reliable car

Last edited by WRXVAS; 14 July 2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 14 July 2008, 11:50 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Have you checked the power steering fluid level, is the belt OK or slipping, if the assistance comes back with some engine speed, then it implies one of them two, PAS pumps are usually very reliable!

Simon
Old 14 July 2008, 11:53 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

If the fluid level is ok you can bleed the system by turning the wheels lock to lock a few times with the reservior cap off. Shouldn't really lose any fluid unless you have a leak.

As above, probably a slipping or lose drive belt.
Old 14 July 2008, 05:36 PM
WRXVAS
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for reply's fluid is full just tried to bleed the system from lock to lock but with no joy only did it loke 10 times eachway wasnt sure how many to do ... gave me a work out thats for sure....

all belts seem tight to me no noise or anything from pulley's

any more ideas?

Last edited by WRXVAS; 14 July 2008 at 05:38 PM. Reason: adding missing info
Old 15 July 2008, 06:10 AM
SnazzyJoe
Scooby Regular

My pump actually went out about a month ago, I had sprung a horrible leak from the pressure sensor, but I found one on ebay, seller was actually very helpful, had a few mix-ups, he sent me a new one and I changed it out myself. Was my first time actually working on a car engine, so it took a couple hours, some of those bolts are damn frustrating to reach, lol. But my new pump cost 85 quid. Not toooo bad. Course I'm not sure how much differnt your set-up will be as I drive a my93 wrx. When I had to bleed my system after installing the new pump it only took one or two turns in both directions
Old 15 July 2008, 04:17 PM
WRXVAS
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by SnazzyJoe
My pump actually went out about a month ago, I had sprung a horrible leak from the pressure sensor, but I found one on ebay, seller was actually very helpful, had a few mix-ups, he sent me a new one and I changed it out myself. Was my first time actually working on a car engine, so it took a couple hours, some of those bolts are damn frustrating to reach, lol. But my new pump cost 85 quid. Not toooo bad. Course I'm not sure how much differnt your set-up will be as I drive a my93 wrx. When I had to bleed my system after installing the new pump it only took one or two turns in both directions
thanks for reply joe , is there a pressure sensor on my setup ? maybe that may be gone as everything is tight and sealed on my pump unless its the insides thats gone well atm the car is parked up until i sort this out .... weres nearest bus stop
Old 16 July 2008, 11:33 AM
SnazzyJoe
Scooby Regular

The leak on mine sprouted from the electrical connector at the bottom(backside) of the pump, there's a little gasket right where the wires run in and that's where mine had started. Of course, if yours was leaking you'd know, mine was spraying all over the engine block and smoking like crazy as it burned off all that PAS oil