Notices

Screeming noise from Turbo area

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2008, 09:27 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool Screeming noise from Turbo area

Hi all, hopefully someone here will be able to help me out with this.

I won't bore you with details but I have a screaming noise coming from the turbo area after the car has been running a while and warmed up, I have just had a new engine fitted and it is not mapped properly yet but had been mapped so it will work safely.

Anyway I have a 3port boost solenoid which I assume is/was mapped in to the base map I was given to get my by until it is mapped properly. After running the car I noticed a screaming noise when I was not accelerating i.e throttle closed, but when I opened the throttle the screaming stopped. This got me thinking that maybe the boost solenoid is not opening the wastegate and air is forcing its way out hence the screaming. Anyway I checked all the bolts and hoses round the turbo and all seem fine, we tested the wastegate actuator and that also opens and closes fine so I disconnected the solenoid and connected the turbo and wastegate together using a single piece of hose. This seemed to cure the problem for a while, but then the screaming came back, not as loud initially but has subsequently returned to its full on banshee scream. This only happens when the throttle is closed and I can reproduce it when the car is parked up. If I rev the engine using the throttle cable under the bonnet it revs fine but once I stop the screaming starts like there is back pressure escaping, once the pressure is gone it stops screaming, until the next time I open and close the throttle then it happens all over again.

When you turn the engine off you can hear the turbo spin down so the bearing core is ok and there is no smoke from the exhaust.

So does anyone have any idea what could be causing this god awful screaming noise.????

Cheers
Steve
Old 27 June 2008, 03:45 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like an air leak to me.

David APi