Notices

Changing turbo using avcr to control boost?

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2008, 10:14 PM
Nolan_WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing turbo using avcr to control boost?

Wonder if anyone can help with this.
I have a 05 wrx it has sports cat dp and straight thru exhaust samco y pipe, cai induction kit, apexi avcr and hks fuel cut defender. It has been remaped to run all this.
I have just got hold of a vf28 (only reason it was cheap at the time)
and also a decat uppipe will go on the same time.
First will the original injectors be ok with the new turbo? (will make about 305ish bhp i think)
and second will i be able to run the new turbo with just setting up the avcr to controll the boost and therefore not having it remapped again?

would it be worth getting a knocklink to monitor if run as above?

any help with this would be great guys
Old 26 June 2008, 10:22 PM
hybrid12
Scooby Regular

hello, i have a 54 plate wrx and am looking to do a similar thing, which turbo units will bolt on without any extra work being needed? i dont think it will run well untill you get it remapped, and you should look at getting some sti injectors as i believe the standard wrx are only good for upto about 300 bhp.
Old 26 June 2008, 10:22 PM
hybrid12
Scooby Regular

oh and do they hks fuel cut defenders make much of a difference?
Old 27 June 2008, 06:10 AM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

If it's been mapped for your current mods why have the HKS fcd and AVCR The ECU's boost control is far superior that that of the AVCR, AVCR has similar functionality without the finesse of the OEM system.

Changing the turbo on any WRX will require an upgrade to the fuel system, sometimes the cheapest/easiest option is to fit a set of injectors from the STi's and these should cope with any of the standard location turbo's fitted by Subaru, VF28, VF30, VF34, VF35, TD05.
Any turbo upgrade will require your current map addressing to ensure the ECU applies correct fueling and ignition, it's not just a case of running the same boost.
Old 27 June 2008, 03:55 PM
Nolan_WRX
Scooby Regular

The only reason it has the AVCR is the guy who had it before had it put on and it was hitting the fuel cut so then fitted the fuel cut defender.
The guy who did the work for him also did the remap for me, so i dont understand why he just didnt remap it in the first place then? would have been cheaper.

Ok so bigger injectors for sure then, and a definite remap, already have a walbro255 fuel pump fitted.

When i spoke to the guy who did the map for me, i was asking about upgrading the turbo he said he would change the fuel presure regulator, is this really needed for the power level of the vf28 and even the vf34,35?

When you change the turbo do you usually change the oil the same time?
Its nearly due its 30k service so might do it all the same time.
Old 27 June 2008, 04:28 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The newage FPR is a pretty good item and should'nt need changing. I'm not sure why it shuld hit fuel cut with the AVCR looking after the boost...the ECU is not looking after boost so it doesn't care LOL

Personally I'd remove the AVCR and the FCD then fit a 3-port solenoid and have the ECU EcuTeK'd. Good smooth boost control from the ECU / 3-port and all the safety features of the ECU still intact if anything goes wrong

Sell the AVCR and FCD

Shaun
Old 27 June 2008, 04:49 PM
Nolan_WRX
Scooby Regular

When i first had it it was setup for about 1.25bar boost, previous owner was saying it was like hitting a brick wall when booted, so went back and had the fuel cut defender fitted.
Wouldnt a 3port be fitted whith the AVCR tho?
Was thinking of taking it all out, but liked the 2 different boost settings of the AVCR, but then again ive not really used it lol. and i wouldnt really know how to take it all out? is it complicated?
and would i get much for them after taking it out?