Notices

oil change, quick reply needed

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2008, 03:33 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change, quick reply needed

just bought castrol magnatec 5w 30. this is the grade in the book at the shop where i bought it,
about to do the oil change myself ,is it just a case of take the oil filler cap off, undo sump plug, let it drain out, replace the plug, replace oil filter and top up engine oil,?

how much oil is needed i have 5litres,its a sti6
Old 22 June 2008, 03:54 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

I was told by Bob Rawle not to use Magnatec, he told me to get it out of my MY99 asap and replace it with Shell Ultra 5/40. I didn't have any problems using the oil, but, he said its not suited to Impreza's. If you do go ahead then yes as you described, but, you must prefill the oil filter before fitting it to avoid oil starvation on start up. Top up with only 4 litre's at first (inc what's in the filter) to avoid over filling. Then top up to just below the top hole on the dip stick.

I have just done a quick search for 'Magnatec' and I think you should do the same before you put it in.

Martin

Last edited by Skooby53; 22 June 2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 22 June 2008, 04:06 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

thanks for the reply,
Old 22 June 2008, 04:15 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stigaz
just bought castrol magnatec 5w 30. this is the grade in the book at the shop where i bought it,
about to do the oil change myself ,is it just a case of take the oil filler cap off, undo sump plug, let it drain out, replace the plug, replace oil filter and top up engine oil,?

how much oil is needed i have 5litres,its a sti6
4.5litres I think

Dont forget to replace the sump plug washer with a new one!

Pre-fill the oil filter before fitting! (takes a while as the filter element slowly absorbes the oil untill full)

some people suggest to Crank the engine over a few times without letting it start to let pressure build up after youve done the oil change. Can remove the cam/crank sensor wire to do this.

Finally... I think you should use a thicker oil. At least 10w40 up to 15w50 and always fully synthetic.

Gaz
Old 22 June 2008, 04:27 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

I'v decided to not use the magnatec,going to try and get the shell helix or motul.
do you think i could get either of these oils from halfrauds

how do i go about cranking the engine, where is the sensor

cheers
Old 22 June 2008, 04:36 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

You can get the Shell from any Shell garage or failing that there are some good retailers on e-bay who will post it to you. I should stress that you read their feedback just to be on the safe side. I bought my last 5ltrs from ebay and it cost me £33 inc delivery the seller was 'rep500' top guy and a speedy service. No sure about the Motul, I am sure someone else will let you know.

Martin

This is a link for the guy I used.

SHELL HELIX ULTRA FULLY SYNTHETIC 5W-40 MOTOR OIL 5 LTR on eBay, also Engine Tuning Parts, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 25-Jun-08 08:54:24 BST)

Last edited by Skooby53; 22 June 2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 22 June 2008, 04:39 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stigaz
I'v decided to not use the magnatec,going to try and get the shell helix or motul.
do you think i could get either of these oils from halfrauds

how do i go about cranking the engine, where is the sensor

cheers
personally I use Motul 15w50, thickers better in the summer too. Dont think halfords sell it... I got mine from demon tweeks. Mobile 1 and Millers are good makes to go with too, again 10w40-15w50 is my suggestion

Erm... crank sensor is just below the alternator I think, inline where the crank would be and on the block somewhere. I was told just unplug the sensor, this might put the CEL on but will probably go off when re fitted . TBH I've never done this, so if someone who has could just confirm?! I just crank a couple of times and just before it starts shut it off, do it a few times, lol. Dont think a garage would do either TBF but it was a suggestion i read on here.

Gaz