Notices

Changing your oil? Be carefull with Blueprint filters!

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2008, 08:39 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Exclamation Changing your oil? Be carefull with Blueprint filters!

I normally use genuine filters only when I do oil changes but decided to try a Blueprint filter yesterday..

Was going about the oil change and came to filling my new filter, hmm.. bit slow sucking up that fresh oil.. Ah!

There were no holes in the inside body (metal cylinder part) of the filter! Basically from what I can see they've somehow managed to manufacture the filter without the perferation holes to allow the oil through the filter.

Luckily I obviously spotted this, but just a warning for people who use Blueprint filters!

I am so glad I go through the whole 'carefull Impreza oil change' procedure, if I wasn't carefull and pre filled the filter I may not have noticed! One good reason to pre fill the filter even if you don't believe in the priming arguement.
Old 06 June 2008, 12:26 AM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the whole priming is only essential if the engine is new, just to get some oil around the veins

Dont get me wrong, it still cant do it any harm tho.
Old 06 June 2008, 12:37 AM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

didnt have any probs with mine got new one other week dont deliver many back to them
Old 06 June 2008, 05:41 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Just went to the supplier and got him to get another off the shelf.. same problem!

So, please be carefull when fitting a Blueprint filter!

Also it's worth noting that even if someone does fit one the bypass valve should do a reasonable job of letting most of the oil through but it'll be totally unfiltered!

There's probably hundreds out there like it. I'll be contacting blueprint as they're obviously not aware (as the dealers wouldn't still have them on the shelves)

I wonder how many garages have fitted them (as most places won't think about priming the filter) to scoobs.