Notices

Turbo options????????????

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2008, 08:56 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo options????????????

I am in the middle of doing the head gaskets on my scooby and have noticed the inlet blades on the turbo look worn

It's a V2 car but im running a small front entry hybrid IHI turbo.

My question is this if I put a bigger turbo on it am I going to get clearence issues with the manifold, at the moment i have a 90 degree samco hose connecting the turbo to the main inlet pipe and it's avery tight fit

The car is running about 320/320 and it spools up very quickly, I dont want to go backwards in terms of spool and max power but an early tdo5 would solve my inlet hose problem but would it be a big difference in spool?

At the moment it makes a small amount of positive boost at 2.5k and 1 bar at 3k and max at 3.2-3.3k then holds it until 6.5k then it tails off to less than a bar at 8k
i would like to get everyones opinion on this while the car is in bit's!

Thanks
james
Old 28 May 2008, 10:21 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

what turbo is currently on it?
Old 28 May 2008, 11:01 AM
saiklon
Scooby Regular

James, if the bigger turbo has the same inlet size you shouldn't get a clearance issue. Also can I suggest a small hijack here? I think it would be nice if we had a list of turbos and what their boost threshold is?

My experiences are on 2l engines
TD05: Full boost at about 3500rpm
VF11:Positive manifold pressure at 2000rpm, full boost at 2800rpm

Any other takers?
Old 28 May 2008, 06:07 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
what turbo is currently on it?
hi mate the IHI serial number has been ground away because it's a hybrid, having had a good look at it I think it would have been a VF22/23 before it was modified with different compressor wheels etc.

I was thinking about putting a VF28 on or maybe a standard VF22/23 but I was worried about the inlet on the front sticking out further than it does already due to the clearence issues with the inlet hose.

I was considering raising the manifold as well but from what I can gather it's not as simple as just fitting the spacers, I think I have to relocate the power steering bit's and pieces!

What was a straight forward head hasket job is turning into a bit of a nightmare!!

Having said that I want to get the car right so Im going to take my time and do it right first time!

James