dayco timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2008, 08:13 PM
cmpequeno
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dayco timing belt

hello,

is it ok to use one of these or should I buy a genuine?
thanks
Old 27 May 2008, 08:34 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for something that important, i say spent the extra and get the genuine one
Old 27 May 2008, 08:35 PM
cmpequeno
Scooby Regular

just asking because the dealer wants £450 for the kit and the dayco costs £200
Old 27 May 2008, 09:26 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The belt itself here in the UK is something like £40 for the Dayco and £80 for the Subaru. I may be a little out on those, before anyone comes on to say different, that's just a rough comparison between the prices from memory. However, the difference between £450 for the kit and only £200 is a big one. That's not down to the belt alone, it must be tensioners, pulleys etc? TBH I'd go with the Dayco belt myself, but I wouldn't skimp on the tensioners/pulleys if they do actually need changing - I'd use genuine Subaru.
Old 31 May 2008, 12:14 AM
cmpequeno
Scooby Regular

yes, it's £200 for everything. here in Portugal the dealer wants 550 euros I think that's like 450 british pounds.
the kit from the uk has the dayco timing belt and the tensioners/pulleys are GMB, Koyo, NSK and NTN.
don't know if these need replacing, but since I'm replacing the belt, I want to change these and the water pump... just in case...
Old 31 May 2008, 12:34 AM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

Whilst I agree totally that you (most of the time) get what you pay for, let's be realistic here and remember that Subaru do not make bearings, timing belts etc. They do obviously put to tender a specification for a component that is then chosen by them for use on their cars.

Dayco are a known brand, been around for a long time and from what I've researched/experienced, been fairly good with their quality.

I've always shopped around for belt kits, never gone the cheapest and certainly not gone for the most expensive. Somewhere in the middle towards the upper third has always done me proud.

I understand that there are a lot of people who say 'why risk it' but I personally feel this is a bit over cautious. A 'decent' kit, assembled correctly using the right torque measurement, loctite, assembly instructions, will be reliable for the length of the service interval.

This comes from Peugeot Mi16 engines, Vaux V6, Saphire Cosworths, Toyota's Diesels, and all the other cars I've owned where I've replaced my own cambelts, without failure, despite the 'you must only use this kit' following.

As suggested though, it's rarely the belt that fails but the roller bearings and then the tensioners. If you feel flush, go for it, but I'd be happy to correctly fit a good oeq kit.

Not suggesting you shun the original kit, just something else to think about.
Old 31 May 2008, 12:43 AM
cmpequeno
Scooby Regular

ok, thanks for your comments, I think I'll go for the kit I saw in the UK website

Trending Topics

Old 31 May 2008, 06:40 AM
Sc0oby
Scooby Regular

yes have been using dayco belt and timing belt without much problems for years now. Tnesioner bearing made by nsk/tnt or other brand is basically the same as the subaru. If you would look closely some of these are actually made by those company. If you would be purchasing Subaru timing belt i would personally go for the aftermarket brands like power enterprises or cusco since not much price difference
Old 31 May 2008, 07:05 AM
nez-wrx
Scooby Regular

i cant remember the brands (nipparts rings a bell) but i have run none genuine timing belt and pulleys etc for nearly 3 years (including runs at santa pod) not had any problems