Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2008, 08:52 AM
DuncWRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Management Light

Alright Guys,

Quick question.

If the CAT is removed from a 02 bugeye WRX should the engine management light come on and stay on?

If so, is there a way to put it out? i.e. taking it in to the local dealership?

Cheers.
Old 21 May 2008, 12:51 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Removing the cats on the bugeye will set off CEL P0420 (cat below efficiency).

Dealers are not able to turn this CEL off permanently, for that you will need to have the car re-mapped and the mapper will remove the CEL completely.

The other is to buy a "CEL fix" which fools the ECU into thinking the cat is still there.

By far the best option is to have the car mapped.......it will drive much, much better

Shaun
Old 21 May 2008, 04:12 PM
DuncWRX
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the comments Shaun.

Thing is i just bought the car last week and it has already been mapped by Andy Forrest (supposedly).

The dude i bought it from told me the light would stay on due to the cat being removed and that Andy told him that was the case.

Next thing is it has an STI engine, VF35 turbo, uprated fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, full vortex afterburner system + decat etc etc so should be running about 300bhp, well so i was told!

However, the car just doesn't feel like it has as much power as it should although the greedy boost controller says peak boost is 1.3 bar. The guy i bought it from said it was mapped on low boost of 0.8bar and high boost of 1.3 bar which the boost controller displays. It just doesn't pull like it should i know that for sure.

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to subaru's so i'm sure it could be a whole host of things but generally the car feels good apart from the fact it doesn't pull as it should.

Any ideas anyone?
Old 21 May 2008, 04:33 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

I would get in contact with Andy Forrest.....he keeps records of all the cars he maps, what mods they have and what sort of mappping he has done

It would be very easy for Andy to map out CEL P0420, I would suggest that the STi engine and bits has no EGT sensor which the Bugeye ECU is expecting to find. The ECU then Throws an EGT CEL as it can't see one. I would expect there to be an empty socket on the loom next to the offside suspension turret where the EGT should be plugged in. If this is the case then a 2.2kOhm resistor in it's place should clear the CEL.

An STi engine with those Mods should easilly chuck out 330 BHP / 300 torque, the VF35 is good for top end BHP (and torque) so Andy might have mapped it to save your gearbox......presumably you still have the WRX 5 speed ?? I have broken 2 Bugeye WRX gearboxes LOL

1.3 bar sounds a little low, Andy would have to tail off the boost at higher revs but I would have expected 1.42 bar or thereabouts.

Andy is very approachable...why not drop him an e-mail

Shaun
Old 21 May 2008, 04:40 PM
DuncWRX
Scooby Newbie

Thanks again Shaun, i'll drop Andy an email and see what he has to say.

Cheers.
Old 21 May 2008, 05:12 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I repaced my centre cat on my Bugeye last week, (not the centre resonator) and I had the cel fix which consisted of a threaded pipe to move the sensor away from the pipe. Cutting a long story short, the guy who fitted it couldnt get the lambda into the thread of the cel fix. So, no cel fix and no cel light. Obviously there are still two cats on the car though , whether that makes the difference or not I dont know.
Old 21 May 2008, 08:09 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

The up-pipe cat and the downpipe cat left on your bugeye should keep the CEL light from coming on..........and pass a MOT emissions test provided the cats are up to temp (very hot)

Shaun