Manual Boost control advice please

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2008, 01:24 PM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Manual Boost control advice please

Hi,
I have a manual boost controller fitted to my 1999 UK Impreza.

I don't really know much about them or how they work but i am keen to remove it as i want my car returned to standard.

It is a screw device fitted between the lower pipe from the boost solanoid and the actuator (i think, round shaped thing near to the top of the turbo?).

My question is could someone explain very simply what it does and if i want to remove it is it as simple as taking it out and connecting the pipe straight through.

Many thanks
Matt
Old 20 May 2008, 06:08 PM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

its controled by electric solinoid its blue wi two black pipes coming off it located on drivers side suspention turret under allarm siren, one pipe gose into inlt manifold, and one (this should be capped off at moment and dangerling around engin bay) should come off a tee piece which should be located between acuator and out let nipple off turbo, putting a pipe between nipple and acuator will give useless boost say 6psi, u will need a tee piece, pipe to tee piece with correct orifice size (1.2mm i think fitted in it, and small piece of pipe from tee piece to acuator. need a trip to subaru as pipe and tee and orifice need to be correct size not costly though

this is how mine was wen i took a dawes device off

Last edited by andyxros; 20 May 2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 20 May 2008, 09:19 PM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

Thanks andyxros,
At the moment i do not have a capped off pipe.

The pipe from the bottom of the solanoid goes to the inlet manifold.

the pipe from the side of the solanoid goes through the manual boost controller and then up to a t piece which splits off to the actuator and the outlet of the turbo.

From what you have said, if i removed the boost controller and connected the pipes straight through then i should have the standard set up????

Is my boost controller fitted wrong then because i have no capped off pipe from the solanoid?

How would adjusting this manual controller alter the boost?

Thanks
Matt
Old 20 May 2008, 09:28 PM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

mmm ithink that sounds like a bleed valve i had a forge one not very good they just bleed a bit of air of for actuator so it would open later on but still dont think its right place think if u just put a pipe off that tee piece to solinoid pipe it will be fine thats if the pipe has been cut short.

is the car totaly standard cos i used a dawes device to eliminate slight overboost on motorway after decat and filter so it may of been put there for a reason like that but thats not a good set up..
Old 20 May 2008, 09:39 PM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

Ah that sounds more like it, here's a picture of it:

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...t/Image010.jpg

If thats the case i'll just remove it, can't see what good its doing.
Old 20 May 2008, 09:53 PM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

Oh my car has a decat magnex exhaust and did have an induction kit (which i've reverted back to standard)

i believe its got a superchip aswell
Old 20 May 2008, 09:56 PM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

yes same as mine just leeds of air out of the botom little outlet. i threw mine in the garden somewhere another 30 quid down the drain ...dawes are better but they are fitted between nipple and actuator, and the pipe to solinod is just blanked of so ecu has no control over the boost but will still hit fuel cut if upped too much.. yours still has some control i think in that posision get rid but remember were it gose just incase you need to put it back i cant see ewt happening but u might get less boost if thet has been turned up to say 16 psi, standard ecu will be around 13/ 14 peak i think

Trending Topics

Old 20 May 2008, 09:58 PM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

o they put a manual boost controler on with super chips and i personaly would get rid of that too as they just trick ecu to up fuel and air but not very well not as good as a re map at least a re map is safe.... you may have problems if you remove it so i would cheak it out first
Old 20 May 2008, 10:04 PM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

I was going to look into removing that too, i guess i should leave the bleed valve in place until i do as the car runs fine at the moment.

Sorry to ask but is the superchip a replacement chip or an add on. Just thinking should i be hunting for a standard ecu or can i just take of the superchip part?
Old 20 May 2008, 10:13 PM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

think its replaced the old one or pigy back am not sure, have a look at or in the ecu.. i priced one up at well lane turbos but didnt like the sound of it at all butg each to there own.. if opting to get ecu get the brown one i think there are 3 types 801, 802 think ours is 802 green one but the one befor think its brown writing 801 has more standard power (so they say) and i have seen results on hear and was looking for one at one point. just a thought maybe worth cheaking out.
Old 20 May 2008, 10:20 PM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

andyxros,
I'm going to have a look at the ecu area tomorrow, if the superchip is a piggy back i'm going to remove it and the bleed valve. The car's probably gonna blow up tomorrow lol

Thanks for all your help tonight,
Matt