Notices

Changed d/p and turbo today-doddle

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2008, 10:43 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed d/p and turbo today-doddle

Well after a couple of weeks reading up on here, I finally got my finger out and decided to swap the turbo and d/p.

The car (RB5) had all original parts so I couldn't wait to rip them out.
I started with the usual soaking of the heat shield and d/p nuts/bolts and set about taking off the i/c while the WD40 went to work.

The heat shield came off fairly easy but I was mislead into thinking that there was only 4-5 bolts when in fact I think there was 7. A couple of sneaky ones that had to be accessed from under the car had me scratching my head.

The d/p nuts/bolts came off no trouble at all and it was a relief when I lifted it from under the car. How heavy is that awful thing

Two of the turbo nuts came off with ease, but the 3rd one was a little trickier and had to be left a few hrs before I gave it some flex. That's a nice feeling when it cracks off.

With the coolant and oil drained and all hoses disconnected the TD04 was eased off.

Fitting the VF28 was straight forward although the botton hose clamps was ridiculously tricky to get on but finally......

I have trimmed the heat shield and fitted the new H+S decat temporarily but I took it off again as it will need wrapping.

Still got skin on my knuckles aswell. The sense of satisfaction is great.

Don't be scared of doing this yourself. Just do your research and most importantly, use the correct tools!

Just the fuel pump and 3 port, then it can be re mapped.
Old 18 May 2008, 11:23 PM
shogo10
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done good to see you getting your hands dirty there is a good write up on installing fuel pumps on jolly green monsters web site..

It's all very well having the knowledge to do a job in your head but then actually doing the work involved is quite a different thing