Notices

Rear Wheel Bearing worn?

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2008, 07:23 AM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Bearing worn?

I'm after a little confirmation or advice. Sorry, not a Subaru though but I'm sure the principles are the same. It's actually a Golf Mk4.

If a rear wheel bearing was worn/wearing I'd expect to hear a droning noise that increases with volume as you drive faster (to a point), right or wrong?

If the front bearing was worn/wearing, I'd expect there to be less of any noise so to speak, but on cornering, I'd hear an increase in 'brake rub' as the disc moves in the hub carrier, right or wrong?

I can't really feel any movement in the jack up and wobble wheel test. I have yet to try the get lairy with it on the floor (wobbling wheel again) to see if this has any results.

Basically, my mate isn't sure which bearing is wearing. I can hear a droning noise that 'appears' to eminate from the rear but it is quite difficult. I'm almost certain it is the rear from experience with an old VW passat estate.

Any pointers welcome
Old 16 May 2008, 08:39 AM
RAMP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had a rear bearing worn out you would definately hear a rumble when the wheel is spinned. Try jacking up the rear and spin the wheels.
For a front bearing (as long as there is no traction control) Jack alternative sides up and drive the car through the gears (with handbrake on) If there is a problem there you will hear a rumble on over run. If a front bearing was excessively worn you would hear it by just spinning the wheels (hard)

And yes you are right a worn front wheel bearing would be audible when cornering,Usually at slower speeds and a slight turning.

If there is no obviouse bearing noise then check the tyres as tread lifing would give a similar noise.