sti 8 intercooler into 03 wrx

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2008, 12:30 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default sti 8 intercooler into 03 wrx

I've fitted an sti intercooler to my 03 wrx, but I can't get the holes for the brackets to line up. If I really push it hard, i can get one bolt down on one side, but then this pushes the other side way out of line.

Should the STI intercooler line up correctly with the brackets? What might I be missing?

I can get it held in securely, so that's not a problem, but it just looks a bit tatty when it doesn't line up with the brackets IMO
Old 09 May 2008, 02:02 PM
Speech
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

STi 8 TMIC is a direct replacement onto the MY03 (blobeye) WRX - I done this myself just 2 weeks ago!

There are 2 fixing brackets to attach the TMIC onto - the right hand side bracket (nearest screenwash bottle) only has the one fixing point on it so secure up this one first - put the bolt in a few threads but don't tighten down completely yet!
The left hand side bracket has 2 fixing points, one further in towards screenwash for the WRX TMIC mount and one further out towards the air-filter box for the STi TMIC mount. It may need a bit of "jiggling" to get the TMIC lined up with the threaded hole but it does fit, once you get this bolt in then tighten up both mounting bolts and the two jubilee clips for the inward and outward air flow and job's a good 'un!!

Took me 10 minutes or so to do the swap, if you are still having trouble then post up a couple of pics showing where it's going wrong as it shouldn't be hard.
Old 09 May 2008, 03:02 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Speech
STi 8 TMIC is a direct replacement onto the MY03 (blobeye) WRX - I done this myself just 2 weeks ago!

There are 2 fixing brackets to attach the TMIC onto - the right hand side bracket (nearest screenwash bottle) only has the one fixing point on it so secure up this one first - put the bolt in a few threads but don't tighten down completely yet!
The left hand side bracket has 2 fixing points, one further in towards screenwash for the WRX TMIC mount and one further out towards the air-filter box for the STi TMIC mount. It may need a bit of "jiggling" to get the TMIC lined up with the threaded hole but it does fit, once you get this bolt in then tighten up both mounting bolts and the two jubilee clips for the inward and outward air flow and job's a good 'un!!

Took me 10 minutes or so to do the swap, if you are still having trouble then post up a couple of pics showing where it's going wrong as it shouldn't be hard.

Yeah that's what i was thinking as well... Oh well, it's almost as if my intercooler to inlet hose is too long...

I think that possibly one of the problems is that I'm using mikalor clamps, and the band is quite a bit wider than that of the normal clips, so I can't push it further in... Might have a play with different clips next week and see how I get on. I'll report back later
Old 09 May 2008, 03:54 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The IC to throttle hose is the same for WRX or STi on the UK 03 cars.
Is the IC definately from a UK STi 03-05?

Nick
Old 10 May 2008, 11:16 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Butty
The IC to throttle hose is the same for WRX or STi on the UK 03 cars.
Is the IC definately from a UK STi 03-05?

Nick
No it's a custom samco hose, might have to trim it a bit I think
Old 21 June 2011, 06:18 PM
gt-r_michel
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ all,

i have a other problem. Today i want fit a STI 8 IC into my MY04 WRX but the silicon bow from the hardpipe to the Turbo was 1 inch to short. Did everyone has an idea witch silicon hose i need to fix this problem?

best regards
Michael

P.S. Sorry for my bad schoolenglish.