VF35 Turbo
ECUTEK Map 3
3-port boost solenoid
K&N
Uprated fuel pump
Front mount intercooler
Uprated injectors

and a baileys dump valve.

Its running 1.45bar of boost and have noticed that there is alot of oil being blown out of the dumpvalve after a hard drive.

What is the likely cause of this. It doesnt smoke on start up at all, and only after a hard drive and then a restart is there a little blue smoke?

Have the oil seals gone on the turbo but i read on here that the VF series of turbos are very strong?

Thanks

Last edited by ash2b; 27 April 2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 28 April 2008, 09:31 AM
ash2b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A quick update, yesterday I removed the front mount intercooler and all pipes both hot and cold sides. Th Intercooler had a fair bit of oil (say about 50ml worth). The pipe to the inlet (with the bov fitted) had quite a bit of oil in it, but the pipe from the turbo was quite clean, in fact there was hardly any.

I will flush the intercooler tonight with petrol and re fit sometime this week. I have read up a bit more and am now maybe thinking that this may be normal due to blow-by due to running higher boost. I do have a catch can fitted but this seems to be very dry?

Any help at all appreciated please.
Old 28 April 2008, 04:29 PM
ash2b
Scooby Regular

Well, hving done more research, i have bought some fully synthetic oil and will be changing the oil and filter tonight after reading that the viscosity of the oil could break down and leak into places you dont want it to. It looks very black and thick so i think its a good idea anyway...

Any thoughts anyone.....?
Old 28 April 2008, 05:02 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Are your crank and both cylinder head breathers still connected up to your air intake as per standard setup?. As oil enters back via the breather system under hard driving. Try fitting an oil catch tank if still standard.
Old 29 April 2008, 09:06 AM
ash2b
Scooby Regular

Default Update...

Hi, I do have an oil catch tank fitted, aftermarket one mounted on the rear bulkhead. One pipe runs back to the air filter hose after the sensor. The other feeds back into the block (just behind the alternator). Cant really see as the alt's in the way. Both lines look very dry.

I flushed the intercooler last night and refitted all the pipes and changed the oil and put a new filter on. Couldnt run it as i broke a clip that holds the hose to the intercooler!

Will update further tonight.
Old 29 April 2008, 12:21 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ash2b
Hi, I do have an oil catch tank fitted, aftermarket one mounted on the rear bulkhead. One pipe runs back to the air filter hose after the sensor. The other feeds back into the block (just behind the alternator). Cant really see as the alt's in the way. Both lines look very dry.

I flushed the intercooler last night and refitted all the pipes and changed the oil and put a new filter on. Couldnt run it as i broke a clip that holds the hose to the intercooler!

Will update further tonight.
Remove the line from the oil catch tank to your air intake. This is how the oil is returning back into the system. Your turbo is drawing oil in via this return line which then is passing in your intercooler etc.

Last edited by bluerigster; 29 April 2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 29 April 2008, 12:54 PM
ash2b
Scooby Regular

Thanks bluerigster - that makes sense, cant believe i didnt think of doing that before. Think i will buy one of those small air filter things you can get.

Thanks for your help, will keep this updated for others.