Notices

Just got myself a Ninja fast flow cat..

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2008, 05:51 PM
codfather
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got myself a Ninja fast flow cat..

Hi all, iv just bought myself a ninja fast flow cat which im hoping will free up a few horses under the bonnet..
However from other peoples experiences should i have any problems fitting it and if so what..Also will the lambda sensor fit straight on..
Basically im looking for a possible troubleshooting guide because im considering fitting it myself with the aid of a workshop complete with ramps ect..
Oh by the way my car is a classic wagon already fitted with an afterburner vortex backbox and deresonated mid-section..
Many thanks in advance
Old 25 April 2008, 07:38 PM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

id spray the bolts well with WD40 on the heat shield bolts then remove, then soak the bolts (as long as poss maybe overnight) from turbo to down pipe to aid getting them off, i should of done then one of my bolts may not have stripped, good set if ratchet spanners is a good idea.then after you got it off and fitted new gasket and pipe you will need to cut and trim the heat shield to fit round the wider neck of the down pipe,needs to go back on to kep heat away from I.C. dosent take long as long as the bolts come off.....
Old 28 April 2008, 06:56 PM
codfather
Scooby Regular

ah thanks for the info..
Im starting to wonder if i should take it on myself or leave it to a garage to do.
Old 28 April 2008, 08:18 PM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

I did the same for my Classic a few weeks ago with just axle stands. The heat shield is a pain - a good 10mm ratchet spanner is a must and then a 14mm for the rest of the connections. I gave myself plenty of time and had no deadline to get it back on the road. Once the heat shield is off, it's easy but some of the bolts have to be got at from under the car.

See www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk for a good article
Old 29 April 2008, 01:45 PM
slimnotshady
Scooby Regular

It's not a particularly difficult job, but some of the bolts can be a sod! One tool not mentioned in the other lists is one of those half moon shaped ratchet ring spanners (14mm, Halfrauds do nice ones) as the inboard downpipe nut is a tw@ to get a good grip on. I didn't have one, and nearly had to give up the whole pipe swap as a bad job. Ratchet spanners will no doubt help, but I don't have any of those either!
I also bought 15' of exhaust heat wrap and stainless ties (ebay) and wrapped the cat on my Ninja pipe before fitting. This will help the cat to run nice and hot, and will stop a lot of heat escaping back into the engine bay.
The lambda sensor bolts straight into the Ninja cat, so no problems there.

Was it worth it? Oh, yes! Not a massive improvement, but 4th gear now pulls like 3rd and there's a nice subtle turbo whistle if you have the window open.
A remap is also recommended by Scoobyworld.

PS VERY advisable to use a ramp if you can, there's a fair bit of pissing about under the car which would be bloody awkward without one. I have access to one, and the whole swap still took just under 7 hours!

PSS WD40 is ok, but there's some much better stuff by 3-in-1 called penetrating oil, also sold by Halfrauds in big aerosol cans, but also available in little oil cans like regular 3-in-1.

Hope this helps,
Slim

Last edited by slimnotshady; 29 April 2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 29 April 2008, 05:11 PM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

half moon ratchet spaners are next on my list to buy as would of saved sone knuckle skin they look a good piece of kit. from under car at mo i have to use about 3 long extentions and a wobbley end for 1/4 inch drive to do the bottom bolt wornder if these moon ones get to it better
Old 30 April 2008, 08:36 PM
codfather
Scooby Regular

well il have my car on my drive on ramps this weekend so size up the job + to get a jist of what you are telling me..
i was in 2 minds about the heat-wrap..does it make alot of difference or is it minimal ?

Trending Topics

Old 30 April 2008, 10:16 PM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

I put heat wrap on but am not sure of the actual performance gain - others may be able to comment. One thing I can say is that it is easier to fit than putting the turbo heat shield back on
Old 01 May 2008, 09:21 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by codfather
well il have my car on my drive on ramps this weekend so size up the job + to get a jist of what you are telling me..
i was in 2 minds about the heat-wrap..does it make alot of difference or is it minimal ?
One thing it certainly does is keep the engine bay temps down. Could be important if you run a top mount intercooler still. Power is better when the turbo is warm as well, so it might be worth getting a turbo blanket kit.

I got mine from AS Performance, it's a custom fit kit jobbie with exhaust wrap, some stainless ties and material to make a turbo blanket.