Notices

Fuel economy: Dual map or drive off boost?

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2008, 12:10 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel economy: Dual map or drive off boost?

Map switching with a dual map seems like an interesting idea for better fuel economy, that Eutek & others do. Currently my SpecC has a Litchfield/Powerstation generic (I imagine) map running approx 330bhp (with Hyperflow TM intercooler/Nur Spec backbox). Car averages around town approx 19mpg & has mazing torque in every gear at almost any revs & screams upto redline in a flash. In terms of performance I couldnt really ask for more but enough is never enough!!

So come service time if I decide to go for a Powerstation Stage 2 tune (Miltek full system with sports cat/filter/solenoid) I am expecting approx 365bhp maybe?

1) What affect will it have on fuel consumption
2) More importantly: Is it worth having the Ecutek dual map for going to & from work in town traffic i.e. one low boost map & one normal map for other times. Is it worth it because when I go to work in rush hour Im never on boost anyway, its only on the weekend or late evening blast I open her up.
So if not on boost what difference would two differing maps make anyway??

Last edited by rickya; 24 April 2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 24 April 2008, 12:53 PM
Scott.T@PolarPerformance
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dual map is designed to give you the ability to run 2 boost settings and hence 2 levels of power.
i.e one for the wife and one for you.

It is not realy there for fuel economy.

Yes the 2 maps will return different Mpg but only if you drive on-boost.

The fueling in both maps for idle and cruise/town driving is likely to be the same and fully under the ECU closed loop control.
It's only when you bring the revs above approx 4000rpm and approx more then 3/4 throttle (there are a whole host of variables) that it will switch from closed loop to open loop fuelling.
so there will be no difference in fuel economy if driven inside the closed loop conditions.

The only time you would notice a difference is if you drive on full boost for extended periods.

It all depends what you normally get up to on your too and from work drive....

At the end of the day you will probably only ever have it on the high setting, unless you want to limit someone.
Personally I would set a car to something like 0.8bar and 1.4bar.
1.4bar for you 0.8bar for the MOT man.
Old 24 April 2008, 01:30 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Cheers Scott Great reply mate, learnt more in your info than I did earlier sifting through tons of posts on map switching!!
Old 24 April 2008, 01:47 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Rickya,
Have a read of Engine Stage 2 in the articles section. That is (in essence) the Stage 2 you are looking at getting. IMO, as a road car it is the perfect level.

If anything, with more torque, you should find your MPG improving. As long as you take advantage of the increased torque down low, which means you wont have to rev it as hard.

Your ECU is capable of Ecutek MEGAROM, which is much more than just a switchable boost map.

If you want to save fuel, get a push bike!
Old 24 April 2008, 02:03 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
If you want to save fuel, get a push bike!
lolol Yeah that was a bit silly of me.....talking about fuel consumption after buyin a Scooby!!!!

It was after reading through all your write ups on your Spec C that I decided that the Stage 2, (what you had done inc solenoid), is ideally where Id like the car to be (at next serivce hopefully).
Old 24 April 2008, 06:08 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

My old Type R run 2 stage boost... stage 1 was 14psi ( actuator pressure ), stage 2 was 21psi...
I just run around on stage 1 and when I needed the extra boost flicked it on to stage 2...
Was very addictive on stage 2... lol