Car wont start after can belt change

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2008, 05:32 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start after can belt change

Subaru Impreza WRX MY02

I've just changed tha cam belt and the car won't start. I think eveything is lined up correctly. Bottom left hand cam shaft is a bugger as it keeps moving when you're trying to fit the new belt. How do I know if the top left hand camshaft is 180 degrees out? Is It possible the top one turned 180 degrees and I haven't realised? I don't think it has but it kept moving when the bottom pulley moved. The car is not trying to fire at all. Are there any sensors I may have damaged accidently?

Any other ideas? Cheers Vince

Last edited by VinceW; 21 April 2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 21 April 2008, 06:40 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VinceW
Subaru Impreza WRX MY02

I've just changed tha cam belt and the car won't start. I think eveything is lined up correctly. Bottom right hand cam shaft is a bugger as it keeps moving when you're trying to fit the new belt. How do I know if the top right hand camshaft is 180 degrees out? Is It possible the top one turned 180 degrees and I haven't realised?

Any other ideas? Cheers Vince
have a look at these pics and see if that helps.

JollyGreenMonster.co.uk

if it is out and you have been cranking it you need to hope the valves aint got to know the top of pistons better.
Old 21 April 2008, 08:59 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it turned 180,then the timing marks wont be lined up.
Old 21 April 2008, 10:51 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by merlin24
If it turned 180,then the timing marks wont be lined up.
??? I dont understand, the marks are 180 degrees (opposite) each other on the top pulley. How do I know which is top? Bottom marks are where they should be. (quarter past six) Bottom pulley may have been 1 tooth off on 1st attempt. I turned the engine two revolutions by hand before I started it and nothing seemed to be hitting. The engine does not attempt to fire at all.

The left top pulleys marks dont line up exactly with the bottom pulley but they are verticle. Is the inlet cam slightly to the left of verticle of the exhaust cam?

All the marks on the belt line up perfectly with the marks on the pullys and crankshaft.

I had a lot of trouble getting the crankshaft pully off. Is there anything electrical there that I could have damaged? The car is not attempting to fire at all. Some water has gone over the engine when taking the top hose off. Are there any sensors that may have got wet?
Old 21 April 2008, 11:08 PM
robsw
Scooby Regular

Check you haven't damaged the wiring to the crank sensor (just above the timing gear)
Old 21 April 2008, 11:18 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should look like this Vince :
The Alignment mark on the Crank gear is the line(all pistons are halfway down the bore) not the triangle( TDC mark )

Hope this helps to clarify.

Mick

Last edited by merlin24; 21 April 2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 21 April 2008, 11:26 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnnyroper
have a look at these pics and see if that helps.

JollyGreenMonster.co.uk

if it is out and you have been cranking it you need to hope the valves aint got to know the top of pistons better.
From the pictures in the link it appears there are ll marks were the top and bottom pullys line up

and l mark on the top of the top pulleys to line up with the mark on the belt and l mark on the side of the bottom pulleys to line up with the mark on the belt. Is this the same for all wrx's ?

Trending Topics

Old 21 April 2008, 11:37 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by merlin24
Should look like this Vince :
The Alignment mark on the Crank gear is the line(all pistons are halfway down the bore) not the triangle( TDC mark )

Hope this helps to clarify.

Mick
Cherrs Mick, I haven't seen a triangle I've only seen a line on the crankshaft pulley. The key is at the bottom. I didn't move the crankshaft at all when taking the old belt off. I lined all the marks up before I removed it. Unfortunately the bottom left pulley kept moving and consequently pulled the top left pulley with it. The valves must be open on the bottom left pulley when trying to put the new belt on and the valve springs turn the cam if you're not careful..
Old 21 April 2008, 11:41 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

I was gonna say Crank Sensor, I disconnected mine and didn't clip it on securely so there wasn't a connection.
Old 21 April 2008, 11:44 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finalzero
I was gonna say Crank Sensor, I disconnected mine and didn't clip it on securely so there wasn't a connection.
Where is the crank sensor? I didn't have to disconnect any sensors when removing the covers.
Old 21 April 2008, 11:50 PM
mike h
Scooby Regular

Just above/behind the crank pulley.
Old 22 April 2008, 12:24 AM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, looks like I'm pulling it apart again tomorrow! 3rd time lucky hopefully! I think the top left camshaft is 180 degrees out. I seem to remeber the ll was at the top, it must of turned somehow when the bottom pulley moved.
Old 22 April 2008, 09:54 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike h
Just above/behind the crank pulley.
Aye, or if your looking down at the engine, underneath the alternator, a grey plug, when your putting it back on move it side to side a little and you should hear it click into place.
Old 22 April 2008, 09:55 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

ALL MY references to left and right are as if you are stood looking at the engine from the front of the car.

If the left hand pullies were moving of their own accord, ie without you physically turning them, then it sounds to me like you have the whole lot in wrong position.

The pictures above show the "reference timing position" which the belt and pullies should be turned to before uninstalling and installing a cam belt.

The crank trigger pulley has on the front of it, a triangle, this should be pointing at 3 o clock, at the back of the pulley on one of the teeth there is a | mark, this should be at 12 o clock.

With that done, the cams should all be in the following positions:
Top left (inlet cam for 1 and 3 Drivers side)
| at 12 o clock and || at 6 o clock
Bottom left (exhaust cam for 1 and 3 Drivers side)
|| at 12 o clock and | at 9 o clock
Top right (inlet cam for 2 and 4 Passenger side)
| at 12 o clock and || at 6 o clock
Bottom right (exhaust cam for 2 and 4 Passenger side)
|| at 12 o clock and | at 3 o clock

DO NOT Remove the cambelt unless they are in this position!

The left hand pullies will be UNDER NO tension, as they ARE NOT on cam, and will stay in the position you leave them, unless you turn them by hand.

The right hand pullies will be UNDER tension, as they ARE on cam, and will easily flick out of position. The top right cam MUST only be turned CLOCKWISE to get it to the reference point. The bottom right cam MUST only be turned ANTI CLOCKWISE to get it to the reference point.

Good luck!
Old 22 April 2008, 11:08 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the help guys. The left inlet cam was 180 degrees out. (right cam if looking from the front of the car towards the pulleys). This must have moved when I took the belt off and I didn't realise it. My manual (subaru workshop manual in PDF format off of ebay!) only shows marks on the pulleys and doesn't mention anything about l and ll. The car seems to run ok with no knocking so hopefully no damage has been caused by cranking the engine. I alligned all the marks before removing the belt. I didn't realise there was l and ll marks on the pulleys, and I didn't expect the cams to move on their own accord (didn't mention that in the manual either!). It was difficult to see in the garage yesterday. A lot better day today so I did it outside. Amazing the difference daylight makes!

Once again thanks for all you help. Vince.