Notices

Is my boost solenoid working, help!

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2008, 05:16 PM
mjtelectrical
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my boost solenoid working, help!

I hope one of you can help. Iconnected the two green connectors under the dash on my 2001 wrx. The fans and relays began clicking as I supposed they would, but I couldn't dtect the boost solenoid clicking, vibrating or doing sod all, even when holding it I couldn't feel or hear anything. Question is, what should it be doing, assuming it might just be stuck, any help guys?
Old 20 April 2008, 05:42 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Give it a good flush thru with brake or carb cleaner, that should bring it on
Old 21 April 2008, 03:16 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ive done the same today..but like you nothing was happening with the solenoid,no ticking no noise no nothing. i squirted carb cleaner in it,but it came back out the same way...is this right? or should it come out of the other pipe...could mine be blocked
Old 21 April 2008, 03:26 PM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

If you take all the pipes off and spray in the top you should see it dripping out the bottom. If it doesn't click at all then sounds like its not working
Old 21 April 2008, 03:41 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

mine just comes back out the same way as i spray it in
Old 25 April 2008, 08:46 AM
BlooSooby
Scooby Regular

I've got the same problem with my my01 wrx, the solenoid won't operate in test mode. So, I removed the solenoid and connected it up to a 12v battery and it clicked away merrily every time i made/broke the circuit.

I replaced the solenoid and reconnected the 2 pipes and electrical plug, reconnected the 2 green test plugs and switch on the ignition and still nothing! Maybe this test mode doesn't work on cars 2001 onwards?

Anyway, I disconnected the green plugs, started up the car and revved it from the throttle assembly to see if i could see the waste-gate actuator operating (it didn't). After about 4 blasts up to about 5000rpm the engine stalled. I jumped into the seat to restart the engine and saw that now the engine light is on and after a quick drive around the block realised the engine seems to be limited to 3500rpm!!!!

HELP!!!!!!!!

Last edited by BlooSooby; 25 April 2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 25 April 2008, 07:14 PM
Bulldogge
Scooby Regular

i have same problem... but i had installed a new ecu... and since that i have this problem... ECU Error 44

if i check the voltage on the connector its 12v with ignition on.... if i than plug in the solenoid... than i have 0V !!!

the Ground (-) Cable goes to the ECU... the + Cable i dont know where exactly it goes... but i checked today... and i see the problem is the Ground Cable that goes to the ECU... i think my ECU is damage ....

Trending Topics

Old 26 April 2008, 12:26 PM
BlooSooby
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty sure that the solenoid needs to be 'energised to open'. Whilst the car is idling/shut down, there should be 0V on the solenoid. (I think it only opens in order to dump turbo discharge pressure that would otherwise open the wastegate. The pressure at which the dump valve opens is dependant upon the ECU settings)

Therefore, the fact that you are getting no voltage when the solenoid is connected is normal, the 12V you are getting with the valve disconnected could well be residual voltage, i.e., the wires to the valve have been charged but, with the valve disconnected, the voltage remains until something is plugged in and drains the voltage away. The only way to test the output to the boost solenoid realistically would be to 'tee-off' the 2 wires to it and read it off a multi-meter whilst driving the car when the solenoid will operate.

Bear in mind that my SV wouldn't operate under test conditions (with the 2 green plugs connected) but was fine when I put 14V across it from a Drill battery, therefore one of the following has to be true:-

1 My Ecu isn't sending a test signal to the Boost SV

2 Post 2001 WRX's don't operate the boost SV with the green plugs connected.

Even so, my car seemed to be operating fine at the time.........go figure.

Good luck mate.

If you have the solenoid valve off and put 12/14V across the pins it should 'click/clack' with the power on/off. If it doesn't move with 14V across it, it's screwed. Get a new one.