Notices

Scooby boost problems and misfire!

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2008, 11:48 PM
AdamR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Scooby boost problems and misfire!

Hi there! This is my first post since becoming a scooby owner!

I bought my car yesterday, A 95 WRX Wagon import with around 40000 miles, It has a cat back exhaust, forge dump valve, supposedly a remap but cant be sure and a cheap air filter that will soon be thrown away!

Its been going fine until tonight when for the 1st time i really floored it, Through 2nd it was fine, into third pulled like a train, boost seemed to drop, it misfired then pulled like a train again! Unfortunatly i dont have a boost guage so cant really tell if the boost did drop or it was me imagining things! Ever since, the boost seems to peak around 3000-3500rpm and REALLY pull then at about 4000-4500rpm back off a bit!

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Could the plugs be knackered and just not doing the job or maybe need an FCD or maybe something a bit more sinister?

Unfortuantly i dont know a whole lot about scooby issues so any help would be much appreiciated!

Cheers
Adam
Old 17 April 2008, 08:02 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plugs,coilpacks and MAf are usual suspects.

How was the remap done (have alook under the passenger footwell for the ecu if it standard open it up)?
Old 17 April 2008, 08:17 AM
orbix
Scooby Regular

Find out what ecu you have as a true remap for that car will need a mappable ecu.

If the turbo hasn't been changed then your running a td04 make sure someone hasn't fitted a z4 ecu as these are mapped for a td05.
Old 17 April 2008, 06:48 PM
ojr600
Scooby Regular

Before checking all the expensive stuff (MAFs, ECUs etc), what fuel is it running on? I bought a 96 WRX that had been running on standard unleaded and the (unmapped) ECU had retarded the ignition and limited the boost to half-a-bar. I filled it with Super and for the first 50-60 miles it was misfiring occasionally under load but now it runs like a dream and is boosting at 0.7bar, it's just a case of the ECU adjusting to suit the new fuel. May explain your issues?

OJR.
Old 17 April 2008, 11:19 PM
AdamR
Scooby Regular

Ah right! Cheers guys!
When i picked the car up it had normal 95ron fuel in it, well a tenners worth anyway! So i fired £40 of BP ultimate and suprisingly it still hasnt used it all! I knew it was on normal fuel as my old MR2 turbo did the same thing. Maybe i should run a tank of ultimate through it and see if it helps! If i just drive it with no more than 1/4-1/3 throttle then its perfect but once i use more then it starts playing up.

I take it the standard WRX ECU isnt remappable then? Also what are the signs of a dump valve giving up the ghost? It was just a thought that crossed my mind.

Oh yeah, the car has a recon TD04 fitted.

Cheers people!
Old 18 April 2008, 07:08 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BP ultimate isn't very good for imprezas,imo, i ran my early import on it and it wasn't happy.
I would recommend running it on Tescos 99 or Vpower (could even give Tescos 97 ron or Esso SUL).
The early ecus normally need a chip/remappable daughter board placed in the spare slot of the ecu (PolarPerformance ,Enduring Solutions Limited)