Controlling/Handling Understeer in STI

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2008, 10:41 PM
Scoobatron
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Controlling/Handling Understeer in STI

Hi,

Not sure where to post this question but I'll put it here and the admins can move it if required.

Alright my question is: It is said that the STI understeers a bit more than the Evo but as Jeremy Clarkeson said ".....with a quick 'Scandanavian' flick...." the Impreza sorts itself out. I want to find out how best to handle the understeering of my STI so can anyone give me some driving technique advice?

Thanks
Old 16 April 2008, 10:42 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobatron
Hi,

Not sure where to post this question but I'll put it here and the admins can move it if required.

Alright my question is: It is said that the STI understeers a bit more than the Evo but as Jeremy Clarkeson said ".....with a quick 'Scandanavian' flick...." the Impreza sorts itself out. I want to find out how best to handle the understeering of my STI so can anyone give me some driving technique advice?

Thanks
Get some uprated springs, and a adjustable rear anti roll bar, understerr will be gone...
Old 16 April 2008, 10:45 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You don't really want to be doing flicks on the road, quite dangerous and very unpredictable!
Old 16 April 2008, 10:45 PM
Scoobatron
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Jimmy I'm looking into that but I would also like some driving technique advice maybe off some guys that do track days etc....
;-)
Old 16 April 2008, 10:47 PM
Scoobatron
Scooby Newbie

I was quoting Jeremy - but his advice was a bit unspecific really. If i want to corner well in my STI what should I do.

Thanks
Old 16 April 2008, 11:11 PM
Robbieben
Scooby Regular

Brake hard before corner, turn in(high speed understeer starts) then as you feel the understeer hit the throttle,(not enough to create oversteer, unless you want a bit of sideways action) this works well to take away the understeer at speed on a track where conditions/surface are predictable.

Take your time to learn the technique, but it will increase lap and corner speed giving faster lap times
Old 16 April 2008, 11:28 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I was quoting Jeremy - but his advice was a bit unspecific really. If i want to corner well in my STI what should I do.

Thanks
nothing, it corners well enough on the road anyway to be honest, he was talking about track driving.
Old 17 April 2008, 08:20 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69
You don't really want to be doing flicks on the road, quite dangerous and very unpredictable!
PMSL - I can see it now....
Old 17 April 2008, 11:49 AM
Scoobatron
Scooby Newbie

Can we keep the topic to track driving then. Advice on cornering well, please.

Also Thanks Robbieben that's exactly what I'm looking for :-)
Old 17 April 2008, 12:04 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Advice on cornering well, please.
Do all your braking before you enter the corner. "Slow in, fast out"

Turn in late, and dont floor the throtle until you know you can without lifting off again
Old 17 April 2008, 12:29 PM
AlquarUK
Scooby Regular

This is why clarkson win my ****-Nose award!
Old 17 April 2008, 01:12 PM
Scoobatron
Scooby Newbie

So if you go into a corner and the car starts to understeer what should you do. Brake/Lift off or floor it??
Old 17 April 2008, 02:28 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

So if you go into a corner and the car starts to understeer what should you do. Brake/Lift off or floor it??
To be honest if you are asking questions like this I would book myself on to a track with some professional tuition
Its going to be very messy and expensive if you try it yourself on a public road and get it wrong eg hit the brakes
Old 17 April 2008, 02:44 PM
Scoobatron
Scooby Newbie

Guys don't be concerned I'm not propsing I do this on public roads!

It's just I've seen a few evo and scooby drivers take a certain few corners in my area at quite fast speeds and when I take the same corners I never have the guts to go round them as fast as they do! I was wondering how they did it because one of the guys has the same car as me even down to the same tyres - so i figured it must be driving skill
Old 17 April 2008, 02:52 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Amazon.co.uk: Roadcraft: The Essential Police Driver's Handbook: Police Foundation: Books
Old 18 April 2008, 08:12 AM
saiklon
Scooby Regular

Default Brake, brake, brake!

If the car starts to understeer, brake.

My technique on all corners with the WRX is to brake till the apex then apply moderate power from there on. You'll be shocked at how well it turns in. I actually go into the corners a bit faster than I would if I was in another car (e.g. MR2) because you have to do quite a bit of braking to control the understeer and you don't want to leave the corner with too slow a speed.
Old 18 April 2008, 08:54 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

It's just I've seen a few evo and scooby drivers take a certain few corners in my area at quite fast speeds and when I take the same corners I never have the guts to go round them as fast as they do! I was wondering how they did it because one of the guys has the same car as me even down to the same tyres - so i figured it must be driving skill
Maybe they're just crazier? (seriously)

Most cars nowadays handle so well anyway, that it's just up to the driver how fast they want to go through the corners. I'm not talking high speed track corners now, but your average corners on the roads.

I'm not a driving God (by any means). The nearest I've got to a track so far is a gokart track, and I wasn't even very good at that. However, when out on the road, I can "pull away" from most drivers in each and every corner (when in the mood and it's safe). Not because I'm an amazing driver, but just because people are too scared to go through them faster than *they* feel comfortable with. It's not the car that sets the limit, or even the driver (as I said, I'm crap anyway), it's the ***** of the driver (I'm not saying it's a good thing to go hooning around corners etc etc).

I don't think it's the car either (to some extent), as I can do the same in the crappy understeering mess that is the new clio.

I think it's more up to do with how comfortable the car actually makes you feel. If I had a car that handled amazingly but felt like it was going to kill me around every bend so that I was scared to drive it, I'd be slow too
Old 18 April 2008, 01:19 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

If your car is under steering going into a corner for god sake don’t brake will just make the situation worse(unless left foot braking and you know what you are doing). Lift of a little until the grip comes back then use some throttle.

Last edited by rbaz; 18 April 2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 18 April 2008, 02:19 PM
saiklon
Scooby Regular

rbaz, I didn't mean lock the brakes in the corner. I meant some firm controlled pressure on the brake pedal. It totally works wonders for me. I use it every day on a certain hairpin road junction (with clear visibility on all sides) which I like taking at more than a snail's pace.

The braking will shift the weight of the car forwards therfore putting more weight on the front tires which will then have more traction for turning.
Old 18 April 2008, 03:18 PM
Scoobatron
Scooby Newbie

Oh how many people agree with that??
I thought brake before corner
steer round corner
once past apex: floor it

Kinda thing?
Old 18 April 2008, 03:19 PM
Scoobatron
Scooby Newbie

however my question was: what happens if understeer occurs whilst your steering round the corner?? Flick it and power down? Lift off? Brake? Pray?
Old 18 April 2008, 04:59 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

IMO lift of slightly then use throttle to pull the out of the corner if you lift off and brake the back end will just brake loose.

I wasn't having a go Saiklon it may work for you but only on the entry of a corner.
I think a lot of people tend to crash when they panic thinking they are going too fast and brake. If you are mid corner you are just going to loose traction at both ends
Old 18 April 2008, 07:21 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Robbie has answered the question, but if you break up to the corner appropriately you should just be able to accelerate out of it anyway and not worry about understeer. It depends on the corner of course and some fast long corners may pose this issue and just follow what Robbie said and bob's your uncle... get it wrong and the tree is your closest friend, so be careful if not on a track. On a road as well, you need to use both sides of the road to corner correctly in most circumstances, so for obvious reasons it is dangerous.

I did a track day with a professional driver last year and soon discovered the slower you feel you are going around the corner the faster you probably are, as it is all about getting on the accelerator at the right time.
Old 18 April 2008, 09:27 PM
Scoobatron
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Guys