Notices

HDI boost controller test

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2008, 12:00 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb HDI boost controller test

ok guys, some useful info for anyone wanting good value 2 stage boost on their scooby.i have been testing 2 new models for harvey over the last few weeks.the first one is the HDI-SBC-D-RX, harvey is selling this model at the £70 mark. this a subaru specific boost controller with 2 stage boost and a fuel cut defender built in.there were only 6 wires to connect to the ecu area, no need to lift the bonnet so that was a good start, for me though i had to refit the standard boost solenoid pipes as i was running a GBE valve/dawes device.after spending around 20 mins wiring it in and 10 mins setting up the 2 stages and seeing what the max was it would do in low and high boost i found that low boost would max at 1.0bar and high boost would be at 1.5+ (i didn't dare go any higher as i am running a vf turbo even though i didn't hit fuel cut!) spool was improved compared with the standard setup and held boost was rock steady on both low and high boost settings.i set the low setting at 0.8bar and the high at 1.1bar for my setup.these are a very good tuning tool and awesome value for money in my opinion, a hks fuel cut defender alone is more than £70!!!next up was the stand alone HDI-SBC-D-SE this controller comes with an aftermarket boost sensor built into the unit and an aftermarket boost control solenoid valve.harvey sells this model at around £120after fitting i found i was very much the same as the (RX) model control wise.but found it pulled boost up quicker (as quick as the GBE valve/dawes device) due to the fact i could locate the aftermarket solenoid valve between the outlet nipples on the turbo and the actuator nipple eliminating around 3 feet of piping!the only downside to this model is it doesn't come with a fuel cut defender but its perfect for me as i always run under fuel cut on a standard ecu anyway.both controllers are great VFM in my opinion and are worth looking at when choosing a boost controller.

Last edited by jonny gav; 25 March 2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 25 March 2008, 04:26 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

- Anti-lag?

Good to see the SBC-Ds have a 1/4 DIN bespoke alloy case rather than the "rocket launcher" arming switch of the Cha... lesser models!

I'd link to the products page but I'm over 40 and the site's all in frames....

Here's where to start....

HDI

...then go to Electronics....

J.
Old 25 March 2008, 05:32 PM
Emoe
Scooby Regular

Excellent Thread!
i was looking at one of these but was wary incase they didnt work!
Thanks!