Notices

unable to fit ecu chip on classic sti?

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2008, 03:55 PM
subaruhonky
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unable to fit ecu chip on classic sti?

i bought an ecu remap chip a while back,but have only just got round to tryin to install it.ive got a 96 sti but its had a p1 engine put in by the previous owner.thing is before i bought the chip i did a fair bit of lookin into it and as far as i was aware all the classic ecu's could be chipped,but to my suprise on openin up the ecu theres no spare IC socket or a space for one?the ecu says 6 S on it,does anyone know if this is the correct ecu for my model year or has it been changed?my standard boost solanoid is a bit knackered as well and seems to let the car overboost,but the fuelcut doesnt hit in til 1.5 bar boost.surely thats way too late to stop the engine killin itself.help!!!!!
Old 21 March 2008, 08:36 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6s is from a version 3 sti
Old 21 March 2008, 09:09 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you will need extra socket to solder into the ECU first. Only a couple of pre 96 ecu's came with the socket fitted from the factory. Best if you get a pro to do the soldering. Did you not get a spare socket with your chip? Who supplied it?

I fitted my chip into a Z5 ecu which did already have the spare socket installed from the factory. I think the only other with the socket is a 2B.
Old 21 March 2008, 09:52 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

Default 6s ECU

Originally Posted by dan83590
Sounds like you will need extra socket to solder into the ECU first. Only a couple of pre 96 ecu's came with the socket fitted from the factory. Best if you get a pro to do the soldering. Did you not get a spare socket with your chip? Who supplied it?

I fitted my chip into a Z5 ecu which did already have the spare socket installed from the factory. I think the only other with the socket is a 2B.
IIRC 6S ECU is unmappable at present and does not have a ecu that ca have a socket fitted.
Old 21 March 2008, 11:29 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tazz Kill Er
IIRC 6S ECU is unmappable at present and does not have a ecu that ca have a socket fitted.
Things must have changed then. The early ECU's have either a socket installed at the factory or a space where a socket can be soldered into.
Old 22 March 2008, 01:18 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

emailed you last night.
6S is from 97/98 that doses not have the socket location.
it does have header pins for an adaptor board to be fitted, but is v.different to the 93-86 ECU setup.

No-one AFAIK porivdes a 'Chip' upgrade for this model year ECU.
Old 22 March 2008, 10:54 PM
subaruhonky
Scooby Newbie

yeah,heard from scott at polar performance that i am unlucky enough to have an unchipable ecu.i could change to a different ecu but to be honest i cant be bothered,i only wanted to fit it so my car would run on our crappy superunleaded.oh well looks like im stuck using octane booster i am gonna sell the chip on for what i paid for it which was £100.it was supposed to mapped to suit a 96 sti, so if any ones interested drop me an email.ive already had some interested ,but i would advise any one looking to fit one of these things to check that they have a suitable ecu first

Trending Topics

Old 24 March 2008, 10:54 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Can someone please clear up the question of the early 93-96 ECU's. Lots of confusion at the moment. There was a post a couple of weeks back and i could have argued til I was blue in the face so gave up.

Scott, Simon, Andy etc must be missing out due to ill informed peeps. Also loads more peeps that are thinking they can do nothing with their current ECU's.

These chips DO work very well in the right hands chaps.
Old 25 March 2008, 07:12 PM
subaruhonky
Scooby Newbie

yeah, ive heard lots of good things about these chips.its just a pain cos i happen to have a version which doesnt have a space to fit a spare chip socket but i understand developements are underway for a solution.my advice to anyone thing about fitting a chip is to buy from someone reputable like scott at polar performance and not off some dodgy git on ebay(like i made the mistake of doin)!