Notices

N-reg Wrx Sti

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2008, 11:14 PM
iety2004
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N-reg Wrx Sti

Just bought this in work cheap because the clutch had gone. Gave it bit more of a look over today and notice a couple of things, so was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

Its a Import and been converted to mph, but still has the KMH clocks, with the K covered in black tape. Now, im assuming it got to say 100,000KMH, got converted then the rest it mileage, so the reading of 120,000 is not right for miles or kilometers.

Can you find out the original mileage for when it went throught its SVA?

Do most insurance companies require a certificate for the alarm? if so where do i get one reproduced, cos there isnt one.

Sounds a bit obvious, but need to ask anyway. Should the key be able to come out of the ignition barrel when its in, turned to ign or start, you can take the key out, no good when driving as im sure it could fall out.

Changing the timing belt, will any turbo one do, or will i need one for a import? and when changing, do i need to change the tensiner and pullies?

Red paint for the inlet manifold has come off, plan to repaint. Will the VHT high temp stuff be up to the job?

im sure someone can share some light on these little problem.

cheers

Gareth
Old 19 March 2008, 01:44 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as i know any classic belt will do (mine was by made bt Mitsubishi ironicall) but when buying just ask for a belt for your model.

alarm wise my insurance required a Thatcham approved security system and i had to sendoff a photocopy of the document iirc (last time i had to do this was 4 years ago).
If you don't have one then you may need to replace the alarm but not really sure.
Old 19 March 2008, 01:59 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

for the cert, you can contact an approved installer of the system that is installed and they can do a copy of a cert for a nominal fee (I did this on mine)
Also dont think it would have had an sva

Key shouldnt come out, sure sign its had a screwdriver in there at some stage

any classic timing belt will do. You may need a tensioner, I did a 1992 wrx just before christmas and needed a tensioner but pulleys were fine.

I think the paint will come off again over time anyway, probably the only way to keep it red(ish) would be by powder coating or something like that.
Old 19 March 2008, 07:06 PM
iety2004
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the help guys.

Yeah i belive they need to see the certificate to be able to lower your premium, if they issue one at all, depending on the level of cover i guess. Will need to find a fitter that can come out and have a noisey. Its a TOAD alarm, so if anyone knows a good Alarm fitter in the Cardiff area that would be great.

The ignition barrel doesn't look damaged and the key isnt loose side to sides when in there, just that they dont lock in there, as it were. Been told theres a little pin in the barrel that can break and can cause such problems.

I thought all imports not built to a European standard had to be converted (ie rear fog) and a SVA test done on them.

Yeah powdercoating could be a option, need to look into it a bit more, not too bothered about it flaking off, but now its more bare ali than red paint, so would like to tidy up the look underthere.

OK, so when doing a timing belt, u dont have to change the pulleys and tensioners, but only if they are worn or looking ropey. Ahh all good, parts shouldnt be a problem, theres a Subaru dealer and loads of motorfactors on my works road. So all good

Cheers

Gareth