Notices

Gaining bhp without decatting or losing mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2008, 11:20 PM
1uke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gaining bhp without decatting or losing mpg?

I was wondering what the best ways of gaining some bhp or making the engine run more efficient without decatting or ruining mpg to much? I've already got uprated panel filter, spark plugs and rear silencer. Only other thing I could think of was remapping but I'm guessing the max I would gain without other mods would be around 30 bhp? mayb a upgrade intercooler would help?

Last edited by 1uke; 15 March 2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 15 March 2008, 11:32 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

You can get sportscat downpipes, which are less restrictive than standard and can free the little ponies but retain the cat. Also, remapping can actually increase mpg when driving respectively.
Not much you can do to them unless you have a stainless system in place first.
A full system, panel filter and uprated fuel pump with remap will see you to around 280 bhp and similar torque.
Will feel like a totally different car.
Old 15 March 2008, 11:36 PM
1uke
Scooby Regular

hmmmn I forgot about sports cats. I know I shouldnt worry but I wanna keep emmisions as good as I can really, every little helps the environment lol. surely a uprated fuel pump would make mpg alot worse?
Old 15 March 2008, 11:56 PM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

a tuned engine is more efficient than a standard engine and therefore SHOULD give increased mpg at any given speed
the trick is to get there without putting yer 'heel to the steel'
improving the inlet and exhaust are only improving the efficiency of those items AND the engine in general....how you use the whole SYSTEM is what will govern your mpg

imho
Old 16 March 2008, 12:08 AM
1uke
Scooby Regular

But surely upgrading fuel pump, turbo and injectors is going to effect mpg alot more than a few little mods and efficiency creating things. I don't want huge power gains right now as I do alot of miles in the car and don't want to start having to upgrade wheels etc to handle huge power increases. An extra 40bhp and a more efficient running engine is what I'm after right now. Does that make sense? I know a remap can help a turbo cut in sooner and maybe help with mpg. Is there any ways to help with turbo lag and would better cooling help the engine even tho I'm running basically standard bhp?
Old 16 March 2008, 12:10 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remap will sort fuelling to be specc'd for your car rather than the generic one suits all map on the orignial ecu.. so mpg should be better, and more go when you use the loud pedal.

Simon
Old 16 March 2008, 12:33 AM
Neil..
Scooby Regular

Are we talking about being 'green' whilst owning a Subaru..?

Surely a contradiction in terms...

But as posted above, a re-map should give you better mpg whilst being nice to the environment...untill you get addicted to the increase in power, nail it everywhere and then crave more power, and use more fuel etc...etc...
Old 16 March 2008, 01:59 AM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

A remap will give you a definate 40 more hp and a more efficient engine.

So what are you waiting for??!!! GET IT DONE!!!
Old 16 March 2008, 09:18 AM
1uke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by E_M_B
Are we talking about being 'green' whilst owning a Subaru..?

Surely a contradiction in terms...

But as posted above, a re-map should give you better mpg whilst being nice to the environment...untill you get addicted to the increase in power, nail it everywhere and then crave more power, and use more fuel etc...etc...
But my car has like 3 cats and only produces 219g/km C02 emissions which ain't bad especially for a car doing 0-60 in under 6 secs

Yes I was worried about the power bug I've had it many times before, but I figured this would keep me going for a year maybe 2 then the government would be charging so much for petrol and everything else that I wouldn't be able to increase bhp anymore for lack of finances for just keeping a scooby!
Old 16 March 2008, 09:28 AM
1uke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by weeebell
A remap will give you a definite 40 more hp and a more efficient engine.

So what are you waiting for??!!! GET IT DONE!!!

A remap is on the list but I need to make sure I've got everything bolted on that I need. So far all i have on the list is

1. Upgrade Airfilter (already have)
2. Upgrade Spark Plugs (already have fitting today if it ever stops raining )
3. Upgrade Exhaust Silencer (already have)
4. Sports cat on downpipe, assuming thats the only sports cat u can get?(needed)
5. Remap! (needed aless I can add anything to this list that wont kill mpg or emissions before this)

JGM any ideas what sort of bhp gain I would get from these little mods so far when remapped aswell?

Last edited by 1uke; 16 March 2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 16 March 2008, 10:18 AM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

you could do with a decat up pipe and decat centre pipe as well and probably a fuel pump to be on the safe side, most tuners quote about 270-288bhp for this type of mod.
Old 16 March 2008, 08:41 PM
1uke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daz1968
you could do with a decat up pipe and decat centre pipe as well and probably a fuel pump to be on the safe side, most tuners quote about 270-288bhp for this type of mod.
I've already said I dont really want to decat making emmissions worse and fuel pump would kill mpg!! efficeincy is more what im after. Less lag more cooling etc but would upgrading cooling etc help 03 wrx's or do there intercoolers and pipes etc work very well as standard? with my old renault 5 gt turbo I had to upgrade just about everything!!
Old 16 March 2008, 10:07 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

you mis understood when you go for a sportcat downpipe you only need the one cat so the other 2 can go and it will still sail through an mot emmissions wise. And the fuel pump will not kill mpg the car will only use the fuel it is mapped for the fuel pump will just ensure no chance of running lean at the top end.
Old 18 March 2008, 01:03 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daz1968
you mis understood when you go for a sportcat downpipe you only need the one cat so the other 2 can go and it will still sail through an mot emmissions wise. And the fuel pump will not kill mpg the car will only use the fuel it is mapped for the fuel pump will just ensure no chance of running lean at the top end.
Exactly so. The fuel you use is regulated by the regulator (surprise!) and the injector duty cycle, amongst other things, not the fuel pump. A sports cat downpipe and remap is definitely what you want to achieve your targets. Tupenny mods here and there are a waste of time. My MY98 WRX goes through a normal emissions test with just a sports cat on it and mapped on a Power FC for 1.45 bar boost so it's not slow either.
Old 19 March 2008, 12:03 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1uke
A remap is on the list but I need to make sure I've got everything bolted on that I need. So far all i have on the list is

1. Upgrade Airfilter (already have)
2. Upgrade Spark Plugs (already have fitting today if it ever stops raining )
3. Upgrade Exhaust Silencer (already have)
4. Sports cat on downpipe, assuming thats the only sports cat u can get?(needed)
5. Remap! (needed aless I can add anything to this list that wont kill mpg or emissions before this)

JGM any ideas what sort of bhp gain I would get from these little mods so far when remapped aswell?
the standard WRX turbo the TD04 is give or take a bit a 280bhp turbo... that is at peak power.. the influences on peak are small with the mods between standard and decat etc etc.. as the turbo is running out of puff at high rpm..
therefore you could probably achieve around 265~270 with those mods..

the further mods beyond that will improve the area under the graph at lower rpm and only add a little to the peak power.. along with torque improving etc.. but with the td04 turbo the improvement between decat and cat is not massive.. if you want to stick with cats then add a larger turbo to gain more power, along with some sti injectors..

Simon