Notices

still need help with safe mode

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2008, 11:02 PM
ashjonwil
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still need help with safe mode

I have a 93 wrx and i not rev over 4500rpm the engine light is on and the speedo is working..anyone any ideas..been told code 33 a speed sensor but what this mean?and what are the chances
Old 07 March 2008, 08:52 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speed sensor is on the gearbox i think.
Old 07 March 2008, 12:57 PM
rafasheroes
Scooby Regular

You may have disturbed the speedo cable whilst changing the o2 sensor. It's may have come loose from the speedo clock or further down the cable (gearbox end). Get the cable & connection check. If your speedo is working fine then it could be old stored ecu codes that have not been cleared or reset.

If the speedo is working find then I would think the 33 fault code is a old stored code. A reset should clear that code.

As for the iscv it may need changing or check the hoses for leaks etc.

I have got the same problems, nearly solved my speedo fault, just waitng for another speedo cable (longer type) from Grade A who supplied the short cable the next day.
I have not clean my iscv but have a spare to bolt on hopefully that will clear the ecu fault. I am occasionally getting a slighty higher idle whilst stationary.
I will do that as soon as the pape type gasket arrives from the main dealer

or
Handy Subaru Sites - subaru-impreza.org/bbs

daniel
Old 07 March 2008, 08:59 PM
ashjonwil
Scooby Newbie

I have disconected the battery and left for an hr....put the car back together and it was fine for 10mins or so then old problem check light came on then wouldnt rev over 4500rpm again,,,,any ideas anyone?
Old 08 March 2008, 12:28 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

If you are seeing a code 33 logged in your ECU and the code reappears after a reset then the ECU is not receiving its speed signal from the speedo head assay.

If your speedo is working correctly then you can eliminate everything from the gearbox up to the speedo assay.

You have either got a broken wire between the instrument pack & the ECU (Very Unlikely!!) or the sensor within the speedo head has stopped working.

You can either change your speedo assay for a new or second hand unit or you could get hold of another cable driven JDM speedo and remove the good sensor from it and fit it to yours.

To do this you will need to remove the speedo assay from the instrument pack and then remove the rear cover where the speedo cable attaches. Behind this you will a tiny plastic cog that is driven by the turning motion of the cable and a very small oblong sensor that is held in place by two screws. This sensor is triggered by the toothed cog & in turn sends a speed signal to the ECU.

The sensor is not available as a spare part from Subaru.

Phil