Notices

Tuning a turbo 2000

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2008, 06:04 PM
prodrive2000
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning a turbo 2000

I want to get the most out of my Scooby by tuning the engine and sorting out the handling and brakes, but without wasting my money on rubbish. Anyone got any idea what the best parts to buy would be? The cars a 95 reg turbo 2000 with the prodrive pack fitted.

Cheers All
Old 25 February 2008, 06:45 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

These things can be a money pit, so I would say the first thing you need to do is decide what sort of power output you want and whether there's a chance that you'll decide later you want more. Nobody wants to change the same part twice (eg. turbo) if you can avoid it, but conversely why run a larger laggier turbo if you're running it nowhere near it's limits. The other issue will of course be general reliability; with a classic Impreza as you go beyond 300ish BHP you'll end up spending money strengthening parts (eg. gearbox) that won't translate into a better driving experience.
Kevin
Old 25 February 2008, 08:38 PM
prodrive2000
Scooby Newbie

Want to get the cars engine up to a safe power that won't destory all the internals. Want to track day the car in the summer so needs to be fairly reliable. Just don't know where you start with these engines as i've got no experiance with them. Also not sure about the handling and braking of the car, it holds the road pretty well and the brakes aren't bad but i think they could be better.
Old 26 February 2008, 03:11 PM
Maccers
Scooby Regular

Do what I did - go to track day and see how the car does, you may be happy with it.

I started with handling, strut braces, then full ast and uprated ARB, then changed front brakes and wheels, only then did I look at engine power.

Right now my UK Turbo 2000 is tuned by powerstation to 320BHP, which is as far as I want to take it with out putting extra bits in to support the power.

Do br aware though that bigger brakes means different possibly more expensive pads / rotors etc in the long term.

I went to my first car track day around this time last year at Goodwood, and spent most of last year doing small things, here and there.

You might want to invest in a track day set of wheels / tyres. Try stick to original size as going away from offset / wider wheels, will put more pressure on wheel bearings etc,especially if they are slick / semi slick.

Have fun!
Old 26 February 2008, 03:57 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

how much have you got to spend?
Old 26 February 2008, 05:12 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Tidgy
how much have you got to spend?
The all important question

Power wise

You could go for the typical stage one power upgrade of

Decat/sports cat DP
Decat centre
Decent backbox
After market mappable ECU e.g. Apexi (your MY can't be ecutek'd, but maybe ESL is an option?)
Uprated Fuel Pump
Uprated panel filter

Would be good for circa 270-280 bhp Budget about 1.5k if buying new assuming you fit it.

However, since you're going on track a bit, you need to worry about heat management, so I'd add

Heat wrapping for the DP and headers, you may as well port the latter whilst they're out, will benefit power and spool too Circa £250 all in IIRC. Turbo jacket would also be good, presumably Not sure on cost.

An FMIC to keep temps down (300 for the hybrid, if you get it in a GB) Then fit yourself or budget days labour for someone else to do it. You'll need an uprated induction kit to go with this circa 80-100 quid.

An oil cooler (not sure on cost)

Suspension wise:

Stage two upgrade from Powerstation, or similar: entails ALK, uprated front and rear ARBs and lowered springs, oh and a geometery allignment. (about 800 squid all in IIRC.

Oh and budget £80-100 per corner (assuming 16 inch wheels) for decent rubber.

And a s*it load for petrol!

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 26 February 2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 26 February 2008, 05:25 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by prodrive2000
Want to get the cars engine up to a safe power that won't destory all the internals. Want to track day the car in the summer so needs to be fairly reliable. Just don't know where you start with these engines as i've got no experiance with them. Also not sure about the handling and braking of the car, it holds the road pretty well and the brakes aren't bad but i think they could be better.
Brakes will definetly need upgrading if they are standard as you will have 2 pot front calipers? I've got the same and I've got aftermarket discs and pads which bring the brakes to an acceptable level for every day driving. Any more than 2 mins hard driving and I've no brakes left!

Alan
Old 26 February 2008, 05:27 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

oil cooler will be roughly £450
Old 26 February 2008, 05:42 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
Brakes will definetly need upgrading if they are standard as you will have 2 pot front calipers? I've got the same and I've got aftermarket discs and pads which bring the brakes to an acceptable level for every day driving. Any more than 2 mins hard driving and I've no brakes left!

Alan
Good point!

Minimum 4 pots from faclift classic with good pads and discs.

Braking is one area you don't want to scrimp on if you're going to track the car and want to be competitive. In which case AP 4pot kit (about 1k) for a 16inch wheel kit IIRC.
Ns04
Old 26 February 2008, 06:37 PM
Adam K
Scooby Regular

If you haven't started the out on the modding-slope I suggest you sell it and get a STi of your choise, you can't spend your modding money better than that.
Old 26 February 2008, 07:36 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Adam K
If you haven't started the out on the modding-slope I suggest you sell it and get a STi of your choise, you can't spend your modding money better than that.
Yep, giving the costs of getting the OPs car to spec, I reckon that's probably the best advice!
Old 26 February 2008, 07:51 PM
prodrive2000
Scooby Newbie

Earning quite a bit at the moment so the budget is pretty good at the mo.
What is classed as a good exhaust? I don't want to get a huge exhaust that means i then don't want to drive the car. Can i keep the 3" prodrive back box and get a better mid section and down pipe and where does the porting for the headers?
Do i have to upgrade the ECU to fit a FMIC, i've read threads on here and some say you have to and others don't?
I think my first task will be to get the handling sorted.

Cheers All
Old 26 February 2008, 08:24 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

if your looking for mods including turbo,injectors,induction,exhaust etc etc then you should change the e.c.u. anyway

simtek , £940 ish fitted/mapped or a bit extra to have it with anti-lag and launch control.

<----- view my scooby if you've got an open cheque book