Poss new owner with a few qu's

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2008, 07:21 PM
JimO
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poss new owner with a few qu's

Hi all

I hope this is the right place to post, I have been to look at a 53 WRX-STI today in WR blue, at a Subaru dealer, and just had a few questiosn I was hoping someone may be able to help me with

This is the car

The car has a full history at a Subaru dealer and its now at the same dealer who originally sold it, its had one owner and the body work is spotless.

The history is "odd" in the first year it done 870 miles, 2nd year 2,000 miles, 3rd year 5,000 miles, 4th year 35,000 miles - with just one 12 month service, which was done this month, once the dealership had brought it back. The car drove well and pulled well, you can never really give it full beans on a test drive, but it was quick. The car also comes with a full parts / labour warranty from the dealership, but its just the 35k that bothers me, with no servicing at all in that year.

What do others reckon, should I be put off by this or dive into Subaru ownership??

I current drive an Alfa GT V6, but prior to that have had a few Fiat Coupe turbo, one modded to 310 bhp, so am looking forward to a return to turbo power

Other questions are:

The clutch was really stiff, the sales guy said this was normal and I guess I will get use to is, but whats the life of a clutch, does stiffness show its due a change?

Whats the general MPG people get, I am not worried about it, as my current GT gives me about 17mpg, but just wondered

Whats the STI like on speed humps, my road is plagued by them

And lastly, this is gonna be my commuting car 40 miles a day in traffic and congested roads in London that is not going to hurt it is it, its not until the weekend that I will really get to open her up

Thanks all and looking forward to joining soon, maybe......

Last edited by JimO; 16 February 2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 16 February 2008, 07:37 PM
big bad jon
Scooby Regular

mpg 20 average.
the mileage seems suspect si if it cant be supported treat it as false.

subarus are great cars, ive had many performance cars including: tvr cerbera
fto, gto, 500bhp drag rx7, s2000, vx220 turbo. svt lightning, civic type r, integra type r bmw m3 e46, but i always come back to the subaru's had 4 now.

bang for buck they are unbeatable and real world driving performance is superior to ANY of the cars above, especially if lightly modified.
Old 16 February 2008, 07:39 PM
big bad jon
Scooby Regular

mpg 20 average.
the mileage seems suspect si if it cant be supported treat it as false.

subarus are great cars, ive had many performance cars including: tvr cerbera
fto, gto, 500bhp drag rx7, s2000, vx220 turbo. svt lightning, civic type r, integra type r bmw m3 e46, but i always come back to the subaru's had 4 now.

bang for buck they are unbeatable and real world driving performance is superior to ANY of the cars above, especially if lightly modified.

speed ramps no prob for standard height scoob. and the car is just as comfortable on a 40 mile commute as any family saloon
Old 16 February 2008, 08:36 PM
JimO
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Jon

Also, whats the deal with the cambelt, the car is at 44k, is the belt change 50k?? or 5 years or whatevers first?

I only do about 8k a year, so it wouldn't be till next year?
Old 17 February 2008, 12:02 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mileage seems weird. As far as the clutch goes, before you believe that 'they all do that', ask to sit in all their other Subarus and see if they also seem stiff to you. It may be that you're just not used to a Subaru clutch or (as I suspect) that may be total bollocks and it's just a knackered clutch. Now, a Clio 16v and Williams; they were cars with a HEAVY factory clutch until you got used to them - not much fun in traffic.
Old 17 February 2008, 09:11 AM
ozbod1
Scooby Regular

i wouldnt worry about the other things but the clutch shouldnt be stiff, then again youve got the cover of the warranty but tell then youre interested but not happy with the clutch!! most dealers will tell you any old boll...cks and id assume this includes main dealers.. the mileage is a weird one try and get more info[ facts not what they say} long story short if you arnt happy or in doubt walk away theres plenty more, rushing now could cost you later..hope this helps
Old 17 February 2008, 09:13 AM
ozbod1
Scooby Regular

also if you do go ahead make demands from them, like the cambelts due soon so you,l have it now before its due, after all its your hard earned cash..
Old 17 February 2008, 11:52 AM
JimO
Scooby Newbie

I think I may walk away, I am just not too happy with that mileage, not that it will have been clocked as if it is, he went the wrong way but I just think that 35k in one year is too much and to do that and then sell it, I dunno, just doesn't hang true to me....

I may push back on the cambelt and clutch and see what the garage say, but if there is no movement then its back to the waiting game again...

I am trying to sell my own car, but its not goign privately thats why the p/ex route is appealing to me, but I do like the STI-PPP in Wales in the for sale section, just need to sell it privately **fingers crossed**
Old 17 February 2008, 02:18 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Although only the WRX, the OEM clutch on my car was heavy. And then i swapped to an Exedy uprated, and laughed when the pedal was lighter! Yet the clutch is uprated.
Old 17 February 2008, 03:43 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by JimO
I think I may walk away, I am just not too happy with that mileage, not that it will have been clocked as if it is, he went the wrong way but I just think that 35k in one year is too much and to do that and then sell it, I dunno, just doesn't hang true to me....

I may push back on the cambelt and clutch and see what the garage say, but if there is no movement then its back to the waiting game again...

I am trying to sell my own car, but its not goign privately thats why the p/ex route is appealing to me, but I do like the STI-PPP in Wales in the for sale section, just need to sell it privately **fingers crossed**

Wise move, if it dont feel right, dont buy it. There are and will be a better car round the corner

Andy
Old 18 February 2008, 08:09 AM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JimO
I current drive an Alfa GT V6, but prior to that have had a few Fiat Coupe turbo, one modded to 310 bhp, so am looking forward to a return to turbo power

Get a corsa, much more you Jim

I'd walk if I was you. Plenty of nice STi's out there
Old 18 February 2008, 05:04 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

walk mate if it don't feel right then ultimatly you won't! there are no shortage of second hand sti's out there,do a national search on autotrader you'll find a couple of hundred to choose from and proberbly with less miles and a full history..
Old 18 February 2008, 05:08 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

for the milage your doing to work and back tbh i'd get a cheap shed runa round, will save a fortune on petrol, can save money on the scoobs insurance by putting limited milage on the policy and then you have the best of both, weekend toy thats goes like ****, and a car you can have and not give a **** about if you get carparking dints, or bumpbed in traffic etc.

its what i've done
Old 18 February 2008, 05:09 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

and as said, if in doubt walk, theres loads out there for sale