Safe boost?

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2008, 04:47 PM
AngloSaxon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe boost?

Hi all,

On my MY00 UK turbo I have a K&N induction kit and a Magnex centre decat back. I have just fitted one of these Hybrid Subaru boost control and have set the high boost to 16psi, is this OK? Also, I am getting a Ninja sports cat downpipe fitted later this week and wondered if I could set the high to 17 or 18 psi when done? Or would I need a remap to enable me to set the boost any higher?

Cheers
Old 28 January 2008, 04:54 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by AngloSaxon
Hi all,

On my MY00 UK turbo I have a K&N induction kit and a Magnex centre decat back. I have just fitted one of these Hybrid Subaru boost control and have set the high boost to 16psi, is this OK? Also, I am getting a Ninja sports cat downpipe fitted later this week and wondered if I could set the high to 17 or 18 psi when done? Or would I need a remap to enable me to set the boost any higher?

Cheers
Personally, I wouldnt fiddle around with boost at all unless getting things done properly with a remap mate. There is more to making power than winding boost up: fueling and ignition has to be correct too! 16psi about 1.1 bar, certainly wouldn't be winding it up further!!! Std boost peaks a .9 bar.

If you must, then at least get the car checked by someone with DET cans and a wideband AFR to make sure you're not in danger of ******** your engine.

I'd advise a remap with the mods you've got though to get the best out of them!

Ns04
Old 28 January 2008, 08:19 PM
AngloSaxon
Scooby Regular

Surely boost controllers must be fairly safe ( I use the term 'safe' broadly here ) or they wouldnt be so popular? I just dont have the money for a remap at the minute, then again I dont have the money for a new engine either
Thanks for the advice by the way, maybe I will turn it down a bit for now
Old 28 January 2008, 09:21 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by AngloSaxon
Surely boost controllers must be fairly safe ( I use the term 'safe' broadly here ) or they wouldnt be so popular? I just dont have the money for a remap at the minute, then again I dont have the money for a new engine either
Thanks for the advice by the way, maybe I will turn it down a bit for now
Engine rebuilds can be quite popular with Subarus too!

In short, you'll have an uprated exhaust, and an induction kit on there, all of which will be making the mix leaner, then you're cranking up the turbo on a mix that might not be optimal for std boost. Can you afford to risk it??

The safest thing to do (and the way that gets the best results) is to get a remap. IF you must use a boost controller in the meantime, set the boost conservatively, and get the car checked by someone with DET cans and and AFR to tell you if the fueling is safe (not expensive to do) Or get a knocklink to tell you if the car is detting (would be a good investment if you're going to start modding anyway, mate).

Im not trying to spoli your fun mate, it's just that, as you said, if you can't afford a remap just yet, you can't afford an engine rebuild!

All the best,

Ns04
Old 29 January 2008, 09:15 AM
AngloSaxon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Im not trying to spoli your fun mate, it's just that, as you said, if you can't afford a remap just yet, you can't afford an engine rebuild!

All the best,

Ns04
When I said I would 'turn it down' I meant the boost controller not your advice! Your posts are much appreciated, seems there is a minefield out there when it comes to tuning

The car is booked into John Pye Motorsport tomorrow to get the downpipe fitted so I will ask them to check the AFR after and see what they say.

Thanks again.