Notices

water leak !!! header tank empty?

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2008, 10:58 PM
san007t
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water leak !!! header tank empty?

Hi guys , i got a water leak somewhere...
Before i had a leak from the water pump and rad so changed both and in the same time done the cambelt + tensioners + i changed the two pipes from water p. to the throttle bodies( i think ) behind the cams.

Now i have a leak where i cant see any water dripping on the floor and i noticed i was getting cold air when the temp was in the middle so i checked the header tank , it was empty ??? topped it up but it gets empty every 20- 30 miles....
Again i checked all the pipes including those behind the cams all seems dry and intact!!
anyone can help me out on this

Last edited by san007t; 27 January 2008 at 10:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 28 January 2008, 01:16 AM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

Carry out a pressure test on the system, that will show it up if it is an external leak.
Check your engine oil level and colour, if you suspect it might be an internal leak. Which would indicate head or head gasket fault.
Also check the carpet under the heater matrix is not wet (under where your radio/ashtray etc is, that part of the carpet. If it's wet your matrix is probably bust.
Old 28 January 2008, 06:36 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

I had a water leak last week an it turned out to be weak clips between the turbo and header tank. Couldnt see a leak either coz the water was evaporating straight off the hot turbo. Check these!
Old 28 January 2008, 09:03 PM
rodgtt
Scooby Regular

having the same problem mate. i gotta water leak and no idea where from! flushed the rad and filled her up two days ago and i then had to refill about 2 litres again today. also, like u said about the heating. it was fine all alon the motorway then as i let her idle for a couple minutes i noticed the hot air from the vents going cold. fiddled around a bit and it went warm again. strange. im gonna take it to the garage thurs. may need new rad - how much did u get a rad and pump for?
Old 28 January 2008, 10:16 PM
san007t
Scooby Newbie

well i got the rad off ebay for £62 + postage !!! i bought the cambelt kit with all tensioners, coolant, water pump and servicing parts cost me in all for £150 and from a friend who works for motors factors!! lucky me .. so got a big discount off from him but dont know how much it is for the water pump on its own though and it was from blueprint anyway.
check these this link out Japanese Import Car Parts
They are very reliable and fast delivery as i bought some hoses and engine coolant sensor off from them.

For my car i ll have a look on saturday where the leak is coming from for a thorough check and i'm thinking if i can put thick cable ties on all the hoses to make sure its all tight!! dont know if its a good idea ..
let me know what happens to car when you ll take it to the garage mate so can ve a bit of clue...

thanks san