Adjusting valve clearences?

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2008, 10:05 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Adjusting valve clearences?

Hi everyone!
I've just got my first scoob(a 95 RA) and this is my first post!

My brother had an imrpeza for a while, and said this was the place for any problems/questions.

I just wanted to know how easy it is to adjust the valve clearences,if at all?
I have a tapping on one head, and it's driving me mad!
I've re built many a pug engine,so a little mechanically minded!

Many thanks in advance!!!

Mit
Old 27 January 2008, 09:27 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me and a mate were just struggling to rebuild him a 1.9 to put in his 1.6GTi and we messed up the head on that LOL

But the most obvious problem to me looks like having to pull the engine out to be able to get at the heads properly. I've done rocker cover gaskets with the engine in situ and it's NOT a job I want to ever do again. No way would I want to be working on a head that way.
Old 27 January 2008, 10:21 AM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A '95 RA engine could have:
Hydraulic Lifters.
Top Hat Inner Shims.
Either way, you have to remove a Cam to find out.
If they are hydraulic,they can be stripped and cleaned and inspected for wear.
Top Hat Inner shims are a PITA to do and hard to get the shims.

Mick
Old 27 January 2008, 01:55 PM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

Try changing the oil first, if you have'nt already, it can make a big difference to the hyd lifters. A friend has the same model as yours, and it does this periodically, he jokingly calls it his oil change alarm! It 5really is quite loud when it does it!
I know many on here frown at engine flush, but he swears by it, and does it before every oil change, he says it's the only way to shut it up!!
Old 27 January 2008, 08:22 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

1.9 into a 1.6? hope your changing the rear beam,get rid of those drums! There cheap enough,and easy to swop.

I thought the RA's have solid lifters,due to higher rev limit?(been looking through the search's!)
I have done an oil change,to mobil 1, but no change.the tap comes and goes,which is strange?
If it's cams out, then i may as well change the belt while im at it,to be safe!
Would it be ok to change the oil to cheap stuf before a flush? Don't want to waste the expensive stuff?

Mit
Old 27 January 2008, 09:28 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mit
1.9 into a 1.6? hope your changing the rear beam,get rid of those drums! There cheap enough,and easy to swop.

I thought the RA's have solid lifters,due to higher rev limit?(been looking through the search's!)
I have done an oil change,to mobil 1, but no change.the tap comes and goes,which is strange?
If it's cams out, then i may as well change the belt while im at it,to be safe!
Would it be ok to change the oil to cheap stuf before a flush? Don't want to waste the expensive stuff?

Mit
LOL yeah the 205's not my project luckily. It seems to be running OK, pulls like a train now, but the suspension definitely needs a bit more tying down to cope with the extra pace. Mate's in the middle of building up a 1.9 beam in his garage now, and regretting ever starting it!
Old 27 January 2008, 09:57 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

I must admit i miss my old pug, ended up with a 309 mi16 running 45's,now that was fun.....when i could get traction that is!!
Old 27 January 2008, 10:27 PM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

I thought the RA's have solid lifters,due to higher rev limit?

Mit[/QUOTE]

Thats my belief aswell, i've just been speaking to him about this, and this was his exact words to me, "I know you say they are solid you silly cow, but i'm f***ing telling you, it sounds like a single lifter that is'nt getting oil!"..........He's a nice chap really!
Anyway, i have heard the noise first hand, and my old car used to do exactly the same. If it is the same, loud ticking that seems like it is one lifter, or whatever it is making the noise, rather than multiple. Comes and goes, no set routine, can be idleing nice and quiet one minute, then it comes on for 20, 40, 60 seconds, then dissapears as fast as it came!
If it's the same, all he does is add flush, fast idle for 10 mins, drop oil while still hot, new filter, then fill up with silkolene pro s, and he did emphasise silkolene! Apparently he tried motul once, and to put it politely, he said he wasted £50... You can fill the gaps in there! And every 3-4000 miles the noise rears it's ugly head again.
I know there is no technical reason why the difference in oil brands should quieten it, but were not getting technical here, i'm mearly stating his facts as he has found.

And when he does get his lazy **** into gear, and strip the engine to locate ahe cause of the problem, i'll let you know.
Old 28 January 2008, 01:11 PM
Normski
Scooby Regular

Location: Stirlingshire; Wrx type RA STi version 2 V-Limited; #097/555

Originally Posted by mit
Mit
A 95 Ra will have solid lifters as you say.
The procedure for checking/changing them is the same as a Xu9JA (I'm a bit of a Peugeot fan too), so you will be alright there. The problem comes from the engine layout, there's not a lot of room to work in.