Notices

Cannot fill fuel tank completely

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2008, 09:19 PM
redmacgregor
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot fill fuel tank completely

My 06 spec D STI seems to have a problem with its fuel tank or guage/low warning system. For the last few fill ups the guage only shows between 3/4 and full even when filled to the top of the fuel filler neck. The low warning light comes on after around 220 miles - used to do 250. When filled completely it only takes 46 litres. I believe a tank should hold 60 litres so even allowing 5 litres left in the tank it's close on 10 litres short! For some reason the tank doesn't appear to be taking as much fuel as it used to??

I have heard of fuel tanks collapsing on other cars (not Subarus) when not vented correctly but I cannot see any visual problems with this one unless there is a collapse on top of the tank out of view.

I'm not sure if this is a wild goose chase as this is a problem reported by my wife who drives the car most of the time.

I'm thinking of putting a spare can of fuel in the boot and driving the car from full until it runs out but I don't like the idea of pulling any crud from the bottom of the tank.

Would be grateful if anyone has experienced or heard of any problems like this.

Cheers Steve
Old 26 January 2008, 12:42 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve,

I suspect that you have a problem with the fuel tank sender unit inside the fuel tank.

If I were you I would do as your suggesting & put a can in the boot, run her till empty & then see how much fuel goes back in. Don't worry too much about rubbish in the tank, the car's not that old & the filtration system is very good.

Phil
Old 26 January 2008, 01:39 PM
D-an-W
Scooby Regular

Steve, as Phil said...I replaced my fuel pump recently on my MY05 (55 Plate) and checked for "Crud" in the tank whilst the sender was out, there wasn't any at all so I wouldn't worry too much about that...
Old 26 January 2008, 01:45 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Its still under warranty - Take it back to the dealer, let them sort it!!