Hoping for a response..... New to scoobies part 2

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2008, 08:50 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoping for a response..... New to scoobies part 2

Hi all,

I'm new to scoobies and I'd like some advice on tuning.

I've bought a 2000 x plate classic turbo, and I'd like to go up to 280bhp or somewhere near. I'm gonna take it to prosport near manchester to get them to check it's current output and make sure it's up to standard, but I'd like a pointer to where I should start my journey up the BHP river and how much 280bhp will cost, and if I'm being too ambitious???

Cheers

Old 14 January 2008, 08:53 PM
mike799
Scooby Regular

full decat exhaust,good panel filter,remap,should see you near 280
Old 14 January 2008, 09:17 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

Cheers! Any recommendations????
Old 15 January 2008, 09:41 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by RJM25R
Cheers! Any recommendations????
Backbox, Decat centre section (resonated) What brand is up to you, have a listen to several and see what you like. H&S produce proven Scooby exhaust systems), Ninja sports cat DP (avoids hassles with the MOT and insurance etc). If you have aspirations much above 350bhp eventually, you're better off getting a 3inch system. If you'll be happy with up to that figure stick with 2.5 inch for the best response. Simota panel filter. Remap by someone good, who depends on your location.

Approx cost assuming you buy new, cicra £1200ish.
Old 15 January 2008, 11:20 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Just like to add that strictly ANY exhaust change is not legal under construction and use regs, even more so if you change or remove the catalyst (sportscats are not street legal despite what some sellers claim...), this is not a lecture, I just like to be sure your informed of the legal position (I'm running a centre decat and non stnd rear box, so I am NOT preaching!)

Simon
Old 15 January 2008, 01:38 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The rookie
Just like to add that strictly ANY exhaust change is not legal under construction and use regs, even more so if you change or remove the catalyst (sportscats are not street legal despite what some sellers claim...), this is not a lecture, I just like to be sure your informed of the legal position (I'm running a centre decat and non stnd rear box, so I am NOT preaching!)

Simon
where is this info coming from? So if you change to a std pattern part exhaust that is illegal?

If it was illegal then surely you would fail an mot?
Old 15 January 2008, 01:41 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

to the original poster, Prosport are very good and they will advise you with no bullsh!t given. I had a 1993 classic and I went for a rad pipe and I asked him about tuning it etc and he told me not to because of the age (I had money to spend and would have spent it there) so although he didnt help on the tuning front, he gave me the reasons and didnt try to just take my money if you know what I mean.
Old 15 January 2008, 01:54 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by The rookie

Simon
To clarify: technically, you're not allowed to make changes to the OEM exhaust system. This is there to allow a mechanism that gives the police the ability to deal with anyone with a seriously loud system, or who is behaving in an anti social manner. However, it is VERY rarely enforced. To get an MOT, you need to pass the emission check. This IS routinely enforced via the yearly MOT and by roadside checks. A good sports cat will make passing these tests possible without resorting to putting a temp cat in the centre section then removing it as soons as the test has been conducted (not an option on the roadside test). Most insurers are a little grey on this, but if your car wouldn't pass an MOT due to its spec, i.e. no cat, then technically it's unroadworthy and -in theory- they could refuse to shell out in the event of a claim.

A sports cat is the way to go if you don't want the hassle and uncertainity IMHO. Keep it sensible sized and volume and emissions compliant and it's highly unlikely anyone will bother you!

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 15 January 2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 15 January 2008, 06:26 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

Who's good for remap in/around manchester area?

Booked in with Prosport for next week for them to check the car over for me