Notices

any thoughts on these figures, what turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2008, 04:36 PM
big bad jon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any thoughts on these figures, what turbo?

hi all, i have just purchased a jdm wrx blobeye.
It has a decat exhaust and has been remapped, I have a rolling road printout that came with the car which shows 304 bhp and 318 lb/ft torque, my first question is do you guys think this car is running a td04? as far as i know these max at 280bhp, yet i can find no evedence of the turbo being changed so i cant help wondering if the jdm cars with a turbo other than a td04?

This is my third wrx having had two ppp bug eyes and one was decatted and mapped to 280 by tsl, but it still did not feel anything like as quick as this new jdm car which would lead me to believe the rr figures to be correct?

The other thing I noticed was the jdm brakes are shocking, really that bad especially as the car is very quick, pulls like a train from 2500rpm. I cant afford to spend a lot on upgrading the brakes, but the car really cant be driven hard without the problem being addressed, can anyone give me a idea of a cheaper upgrade route than sti brembos which still cost a lot second hand and are out of my budget at the moment.
Old 09 January 2008, 04:46 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) AFAIK Unlikely to be a genuine figure. Poor little Td04 would be blowing its little heart out and most likely just superheating the air at that point.

Two possibilities: Optimistic RR influencing your perception of it's power combined with more distant memory of performance of previous cars, or bigger turbo has been installed.

2) No need to spend a fortune on brake upgrades; std four pots are good powerful calipers for road use, most often let down by the pads and discs. Pagid blacks are an excellent performance pad that work well from cold. That'd result in significant improvement on its own if your discs are ok. If not, DBA grooved discs also highly regarded, possibly some braided hoses to help with pedal feel too.

If you're going track it regularly though, may be worth just swallowing the expense and getting an AP set up: fit and forget!

ns04