Notices

Q for those with an EWG

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2007, 05:52 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q for those with an EWG

Toying with the idea at the moment and have a couple of questions.

1.) Found some suppliers for the upipipe in the US, is there anyone in the UK that supplies?

2.) Do you VTA? If so, do you get an issue with exhaust fumes entering the cabin?

3.) If you vent to the downpipe, how much more expensive and difficult to fit is this than the VTAs

3.) If you used EWG on a standard turbo, did you weld the wastegate or buy an adapter plate?

thanks
Old 28 December 2007, 06:03 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a useful thread on NASIOC at the moment with pictures that will probably answer some of your questions:
A new high quality externally gated uppipe soon to be released! - Page 2 - Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain - NASIOC

Nick
Old 29 December 2007, 12:40 PM
bowsaaa
Scooby Regular

Lots of places in the uk can supply you the pipework, mine was made at scoobyclinic for example.

Mine does VTA but I dont get so much of a exhaust smell, when your in slow moving traffic it will be closed anyway so all gasses will be going out the back.

If you want to vent to the downpipe its just a case of cutting a hole in it & fabricating a short make up pipe, I suppose cost depends on where you take it.

Welding the wastegate shut will be the strongest option but once you've done it theres no going back.
Old 29 December 2007, 02:40 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I checked out the NASIOC and lot of guys fabricate an external piece to attach to the wastegate arm therefore keeping the wategate shut, so I may try that.
Do you personally allow the wastegate control the boost or do you still employ EBC?
Old 29 December 2007, 02:47 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

The pipe is not difficult to make if you want just an EWG on an otherwise normal turbo. You can VTA like a screamer pipe, or route back into the downpipe (if you wanted EWG for boost control). You can then weld the OE wastege closed, or put in a rigid link in place of the actuator, and control the EWG pretty much as per any regular actuator, although there is scope to have different control, and a wider range of control.
Old 29 December 2007, 05:52 PM
bowsaaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
Do you personally allow the wastegate control the boost or do you still employ EBC?
I run an AVCR as I required more accurate control but if your not going to far above standard boost then theres no problem using the spring to control it.