Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2007, 12:53 PM
Alan wrx-sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent help required

Hi all,

Looking for help / advice please…….

I have a sti V3 and went out this morning joined the motorway was just driving normally; water temp was about 74 / 75.

Then out of no where there was quite a loud knock from the right hand side of the engine bay as soon as this happened I lost all power had to move straight onto the hard shoulder as soon as the car came to a stand still the car would not idle it just cut out.

I tried to start the car the revs would not go past 2000rpm lost of black smoke from the exhaust and when I tried to pull away the car would just judder and stall, I then started the car built the revs up and pulled away in first then straight in second, third and into forth all the time the car was not running right (sounded like it was running on three cylinders). There is now power in the car foot flat to the floor and it does not want to go at all.
If I try and start the car now it will start and then just stall again.

Does anyone have any ideas on how bad this could be???
When I got the car home I had a look in the engine bay and I can not see any damage to the left hand rocker cover as you look into the engine, as the same stage I don’t know the piston could have gone, big end etc, etc…….

Oh and any ideas how I can get the car from the east of Glasgow down to Greer’s??? Anyone got a trailer they could help me out when the time comes or is it poss to hire a flat bed truck thing to take the car down myself????

Any advised will be most helpful.

Thanks, oh and merry Christmas
Alan
Old 26 December 2007, 01:01 PM
Biggs
Scooby Regular

Location: East Barnet/southgate on the borders of North London and Hertfordshire

Do you run a front mount ? I had a similar symtoms to you when the boost hose popped off.

mabye something to check...other than that im not sure, sorry
Old 26 December 2007, 01:02 PM
p1prodrive
Scooby Regular

i would give it a compression test first, this will let you know if all 4 cylinders are good/bad.
Old 26 December 2007, 01:06 PM
Alan wrx-sti
Scooby Regular

I'm not that techie minded and don't want to move the car and cause more damage.

Is a compression test something I could do on my drive?

Cheers.

A.

Oh and sorry yes I do have a fromt mount on the car.
Old 26 December 2007, 01:14 PM
scoobycraig
Scooby Regular

does the car still smoke?
Old 26 December 2007, 01:20 PM
coddy2200
Scooby Regular

If i was you i'd check all joints on you're front mount intercooler pipes. I run a sti top mount, and when changing the y piece i broke the seal and never renewed the gasket, giving the same lack of power as you have. I also work in the lorry trade, and although slightly not related, when the turbo intercooler hose splits or 'pops off', it gives the same black smoke and lack of power. Its an easyish thing for you to look for on your drive, if not then it'll have to go to a garage.
Old 26 December 2007, 01:25 PM
lightwave693
Scooby Regular

as above check that a hose on the FMIC hasnt blown off, that would explain the black smoke and loss of power. hopefully thats it. if not compression test, check the plugs for oil contamination.
Old 26 December 2007, 03:22 PM
Alan wrx-sti
Scooby Regular

Hi guys,

Just back in from sorting the car out, and for the people who said the intercooler pipes 10 out of 10 spot on. The I/c conection that contects the 2 pipes togther under the air filter one had popped off, put it back on made sure it is nice and tight and took the car for a good drive to try and clean it out and it seems to be back to normal again.

Thanks to all for the quick response and help.

A.
Old 26 December 2007, 03:27 PM
Biggs
Scooby Regular

Location: East Barnet/southgate on the borders of North London and Hertfordshire

Yay I answered a question correctly
Old 26 December 2007, 03:42 PM
knobby_2000
Scooby Regular

Cambelt slipped?

My Legacy did almost the same thing on the M1..... was a bitch to restart and ran like lumpy porridge, turned out the belt had slipped due to the followers not being replaced properly.
Old 26 December 2007, 05:18 PM
japsrool
BANNED

i had the same problem on my 200sx the jubilee clamp was loose so the intercooler pipe popped of the turbo...well funny
Old 26 December 2007, 08:04 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan wrx-sti
Hi guys,

Just back in from sorting the car out, and for the people who said the intercooler pipes 10 out of 10 spot on. The I/c conection that contects the 2 pipes togther under the air filter one had popped off, put it back on made sure it is nice and tight and took the car for a good drive to try and clean it out and it seems to be back to normal again.

A.

a good tip for fmic pipework is to give silicone and metal connections a clean and re connect using hairspray on the joints,this helps to stop any blowing off in the future.
done it to mine and touch wood had no probs
Old 26 December 2007, 10:08 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan wrx-sti
Hi guys,

A.

Nice to see a happy ending to this. The last thing you need after xmas is the cost of an engine rebuild